iChat Encountered a problem.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by paulg1979, Dec 21, 2006.

1. paulg1979 macrumors member

Hi all,

I am having problems with video conferencing on iChat.

When I try to call it says

"There was a communication error during your chat

iChat encountered errors while communicating with participants in this chat. You can send details about the problems to Apple to help improve future versions of iChat".

Has anyone experienced this problem or know how to sort this out?

Thanks

Paul

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Does the program quit? Is there an exclanation symbol onm the left side of the dialogue box? There's a number of things that could be going wrong.

3. paulg1979 thread starter macrumors member

No it does not quit.

4. mith macrumors regular

i am having same prb

i just installed by router and now am having the same prb, could it be because of my d-link router?? cause just before it was fine,,after i installed router i tried with my friend ,,said same message

5. sahnert macrumors 6502

I had the same problem. After trying all of the fixes on apple's website and others, I finally switched to Skype and have had no problems since then. Even works great from mac to pc. This probably isn't the answer you are looking for, but if you run out of options with iChat, give Skype a try.

edit: here are a few places with helpful information:
    ralphjohsuk
    apple

6. mith macrumors regular

ya but :(

Skype works.....but i was hoping ichat would to cause when i upgrade to leopard i want to do those cool photo booth effect thing and backdrops.

i am certain it's because of my router , since this only happened after i hooked my router up, i don't have the mac os firewall on (those were reali helpful links, thx ), but-still don' t know what to do

7. sahnert macrumors 6502

I am hoping Apple can work out all of the connection problems with iChat for Leopard, so that it works as seamlessly as Skype. I too would love to use all those nifty new features.