iChat file transfer problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bigboy99, Dec 26, 2005.

1. bigboy99 macrumors 6502

While using iChat (audio) I was able to receive a couple of jpegs, but when I tried to send some jpegs back the transfer was stopped at the other end. I'm .mac, but the other party is AIM. Is the problem at my end or the other person's end?

2. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Without more details, it is impossible to tell were the fault is. Does the other person, or yourself have a Firewall, or firewall software activated?

Sending files over any chat program is most always hit or miss, I would recommend using email ;) .

3. bigboy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm using the Tiger firewall. The other party is Panther, but don't know the firewall settings. He's using AIM, so I thought the problem might be at his end. Emailing the file worked fine.

4. Randall macrumors 6502a

Randall

It is most likely the other person's problem, because depending on what version of AIM you're running, the UPnP NAT traversal support is shakey at best. Meaning that a file transfer session will have a tough time traversing the router. I know that the very latest version of AIM has enhanced UPnP NAT traversal support, so a file transfer should work nicely with that. Have the other person update to the latest version of AIM, and then give it a go.

This is speculation on my part as to what the problem is, it may very well be anything else. But this is just my guess.