iChat? Fire? Proteus? Fire? AIM?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rafifreak00, Aug 9, 2006.

1. rafifreak00 macrumors regular

rafifreak00

There's been a lot of hype going on about which instant messaging client is the "best."

Personally, I like to use iChat because it has that "clean" OS X look and feel, the Chax for iChat extension is the best by far, and it's the only one that has full support for using the iSight.

What IM client do you guys prefer? Why?

2. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

I started using Adium on my 15" iMac because I could customize the buddy list to take up less valuable screen real estate. I like the advanced features such as Growl notifications, events tied to a specific person, being able to log chats properly, tabbed chats, how long someone has been online, away message updating...
    I have no dependence on audio/video features or file sharing on a regular basis, so it was a no brainer.

3. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Adium because it looks awesome with the transparent window with white text on my black background.

4. l3lue macrumors member

l3lue

As far as I'm concerned nothing compares to Adium.

Unless of course you want to do audio or video chat then I have to start up iChat.

If only Adium could incorpororate audio and video chats it would be almost flawless.

5. rafifreak00 thread starter macrumors regular

rafifreak00

I don't know why... I just don't like Adium that much

6. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

If you do figure out why, feel free to send me a message (or, even better, file a request at trac.adiumx.com). We're always looking for ways to improve.

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Adium, coz i have yahoo, msn, aim and google talk, ichat just can't do it.

8. thestaton macrumors 6502

adium!! I love how you can customize it to your liking :)

9. KC9AIC macrumors 6502

KC9AIC

I've used all those you mentioned, but tried Adium and have never looked back. It just works.

10. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

Adium. Although file transfers suck...hella badly.

11. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Proteus all the way. I've been using Adium for about 2 months now because Proteus is not yet Universal. Adium's not terrible, but compared with Proteus, it's buggy, ugly, unstable, and missing features that I like (though it's getting better here). Perhaps my biggest problem with Adium is its really poor handling of sleep/wake. Proteus doesn't care about wake/sleep, it handles it perfectly. Connects on wake 100% of the time. Adium on the other hand is too stupid to properly connect on wake most of the time, and it loves to pop up "could not connect" messages for one or more accounts. The problem is fixed by manually setting it to offline then online again. It also crashes on wake every so often.

The minute the Proteus Universal version comes out, I'll be switching back.

12. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

I know why I don't use adium. The file transfer system sucks. Everytime i try to transfer a file to someone using adium or otherwise the transfer either fails or crashes or both and then doesnt resume. It is the sole reason I dont use adium. Having video chat would also be nice.