ichat help.(aim with ichat.)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by onemacmini, Jan 17, 2006.

1. onemacmini macrumors 6502

Oct 19, 2005
    hi there,

i have ichat and while chatting away it will sign out of aim automatically and it's really annoying. please help?
    it says unexpectally lost connection???
  2. iPhil macrumors 68040

iChat uses Aim code, so that means iChat is aim client too so when you sign into aim while in iChat, aim will sign out .. "iChat is more simple/clean interface than Aim for Mac" << is IMHO
  3. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    Yeah I have that happen too. I has never happened while I am chatting, but if I leave the computer sit for a long time, say 2 or more hours, when I come back, it will sometimes say "unexpectedly lost connection." It's some sort of error with iChat some where as AIM stays connected just fine. I don't think there is a solution, other than leaving apple feedback about the bug, and looking for an iChat alternative. Many people on here seem to like Adium.
  4. onemacmini thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 19, 2005
    if i leave my computer with out goin onto aim's website, for more than 10mins its signs out unexpectedly
  5. EHUnlucky7x9@ao macrumors 6502

Jan 8, 2006
    New Jersey
    Are u hardwired or wirelessly connected?

I'm hardwired. I have that happen to me as well sometimes, but I just sign back on. I'm able to leave iChat open for days, once i get logged off, it just logs me back on automatically.
  6. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

Jan 9, 2006
    Yeah mine use to do that to so I downloaded Fire. So far so good. I am sure it will happen sometimes. But I hope it won't happen as much.
  7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    This doesn't happen to me with Adium, FWIW....

Did AIM stop doing the thing where, when you log on from two sites, it pops up a msg asking you whether you want to be logged out of the other site? Didn't it use to do that? Not that it matters, I guess....
  8. onemacmini thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 19, 2005
    i never was on safari and ichat was the only aplication open
  9. mbl42 macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2005
    Hardwired and having the same problem. Anyone know of a patch or something that can help us out?
  10. MMTech macrumors newbie

Nov 13, 2006
    OK... Same problem here.
    Here's what I've tried...
    Downloaded AIM 4.7 for Mac.
    Logged into my AIM account with no problem.
    Logged out.
    Tried to log in to my AIM account in iChat. No Go.. Same Error. Lost connection.
    Tried changing my account to my .mac account. same error.

So - if this is a AIM problem, why is it that only iChat has the problem?