iChat help needed

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by princessluna, Aug 23, 2006.

1. princessluna macrumors newbie

Aug 23, 2006
    I am new to macs, I just bought my first about a week and a half ago. I use iChat now, and I really like it, except for one problem. I am having issues with the video chat. I have the new macbook with the iSight, so it's not whether the camera is hooked up, in fact that works nicely. The problem is I can't send/accept video chat invitations. It says conversation failed because *insert name of account I don't have* failed to accept the conversation. I don't understand it, because I only have one account, and yet it says another one failed to accept it? Also, my friend asked me why I have three accounts. I said I didn't, but he said my icon shows I do (that there are three overlapping camera icons next to my name rather than one). So how do I fix this? I'm really clueless here, so I hope someone can understand what I'm talking about!
  2. rglatter macrumors regular

Jul 24, 2006
    are you trying to conect with somone using AIM on windows? if so ichat dosent like it and I have no idea how to fix it. You mentioned the 3 video things I think that means that you can have a chat with mutiple people. I may be wrong though. If you are trying to connect with somone on osx, I have never had any problems, you might want to check your firewall and do a quick google search to see if any ports need to be opened.
  3. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

Jun 28, 2006
    The Kitchen
    This may sound a little too simple, but you may also want to completly quit iChat and restart. I ran into the same problem with a newbe on the other end, and basically they were closing the window, not the iChat application. While in an iChat window, try apple-q to close the application. Completely resart and try again. Has worked fine ever since, for us at least. Good luck!
  4. williamsonrg macrumors 6502

Sep 8, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I'm having the exact same problem. Can anybody help?? I live in an apartment complex with free cable internet, so maybe I need to configure some ports?
  5. ricksbrain macrumors regular

Aug 31, 2005
    Miami, FL
    A friend recently had this issue-- it turned out to be an issue with his ISP. Has anyone contacted their internet provider?
  6. williamsonrg macrumors 6502

Sep 8, 2004
    Denver, CO

I'm pretty sure that's what the problem is, an issue with the open ports with my ISP. But I don't really know what to ask them, so I haven't called. Any tips?
  7. williamsonrg macrumors 6502

Sep 8, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Here's the error message I get:

Date/Time: 2006-09-16 23:21:10.992 -0400
    OS Version: 10.4.7 (Build 8J2135a)
    Report Version: 4

iChat Connection Log:
    AVChat started with ID 3181069015.
    rgwilli128: State change from AVChatNoState to AVChatStateWaiting.
    0x16279da0: State change from AVChatNoState to AVChatStateInvited.
    0x16279da0: State change from AVChatStateInvited to AVChatStateConnecting.
    rgwilli128: State change from AVChatStateWaiting to AVChatStateConnecting.
    rgwilli128: State change from AVChatStateConnecting to AVChatStateEnded.
    Chat ended with error -8
    0x16279da0: State change from AVChatStateConnecting to AVChatStateEnded.
    Chat ended with error -8

Video Conference Error Report:

Video Conference Support Report:

Video Conference User Report:

Binary Images Description for "iChat":
    0x1000 - 0x17dfff com.apple.iChat 3.1.5 (436) /Applications/iChat.app/Contents/MacOS/iChat
    0x14bd9000 - 0x14bd9fff com.apple.SpotLightCM 1.0 (121.36) /System/Library/Contextual Menu Items/SpotlightCM.plugin/Contents/MacOS/SpotlightCM
    0x14c63000 - 0x14c6cfff com.apple.IOFWDVComponents 1.9.0 /System/Library/Components/IOFWDVComponents.component/Contents/MacOS/IOFWDVComponents
    0x14cee000 - 0x14d5ffff com.DivXInc.DivXDecoder 6.2.5 /Library/QuickTime/DivX Decoder.component/Contents/MacOS/DivX Decoder
    0x14d6d000 - 0x14da9fff com.apple.QuickTimeFireWireDV.component 7.1.3 /System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeFireWireDV.component/Contents/MacOS/QuickTimeFireWireDV
    0x14db5000 - 0x14de5fff com.apple.QuickTimeIIDCDigitizer 7.1.3 /System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeIIDCDigitizer.component/Contents/MacOS/QuickTimeIIDCDigitizer
    0x14def000 - 0x14e30fff com.apple.QuickTimeUSBVDCDigitizer 1.4.5 /System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeUSBVDCDigitizer.component/Contents/MacOS/QuickTimeUSBVDCDigitizer
    0x14e5f000 - 0x14fa0fff com.apple.opengl 1.4.10 /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Resources/GLEngine.bundle/GLEngine
    0x14fc8000 - 0x1501dfff com.apple.driver.AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver 1.4.32 (4.3.2) /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver
    0x15024000 - 0x15040fff com.apple.opengl 1.4.10 /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Resources/GLDriver.bundle/GLDriver
    0x15047000 - 0x15068fff com.apple.opengl 1.4.10 /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Resources/GLRendererFloat.bundle/GLRendererFloat
    0x15116000 - 0x1511bfff com.apple.audio.AppleHDAHALPlugIn 1.1.7 (1.1.7a2) /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAHALPlugIn.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDAHALPlugIn
    0x152f3000 - 0x152f7fff com.apple.audio.AudioIPCPlugIn 1.0.1 /System/Library/Extensions/AudioIPCDriver.kext/Contents/Resources/AudioIPCPlugIn.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AudioIPCPlugIn
    0x154b8000 - 0x154e1fff com.apple.audio.SoundManager.Components 3.9.2 /System/Library/Components/SoundManagerComponents.component/Contents/MacOS/SoundManagerComponents
    0x15c01000 - 0x15c03fff com.apple.AutomatorCMM 1.0.1 (68)
  8. pianoman macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    in addition to restarting, try repairing disk permissions. this usually works whenever i have an issue.

go to Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility and click on your hard drive in the left pane. click "repair permissions", wait until it is finished, and then quit disk utility. try iChat again.

the 3 overlapping cameras is nothing to be worried about. it means you can host a video conference with more than one person. some of the older computers/cameras are restricted to hosting only one video chat at a time - they can participate in multi-person video chats but cannot initiate them. you can participate and initiate multi-person video chats.
  9. ingenious macrumors 65832

Jan 13, 2004
    Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    I don't think you need to repair disk permissions to fix this. Who are you trying chat with? What are they using? AIM or iChat? Is it a .Mac account or an AIM one if in use with iChat?
  10. williamsonrg macrumors 6502

Sep 8, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Well, I just talked to my ISP (Comcast), and they said they aren't blocking any of the needed ports, so it must be my apartment complex (which uses a router to provide free internet service to the residents). I sent my apt. management a note explaining my troubles, but what are the odds that they care enough to fix it?

Are there any other chat clients for the Mac that allow video chatting?