iChat help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bense27, Feb 26, 2006.

1. bense27 macrumors regular

How do you direct connect in iChat? Whenever i want to do it, I have to tell the other person to connect with me (they are using AIM on a windows machine)

2. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

highlight the buddy's name on the buddy list. go to the buddies menu on the menu bar. and click Send direct instant message.

what exactly does direct IMing do besides picture related things. If you want to send a picture than you can start a regular chat with someone and drag the picture into the typing box and push enter. it will automaticly make it a direct instant message (i think).

this might not work on versions before tiger which i am assuming you have.

EDIT: didn't see your sig, you have tiger.

3. bense27 thread starter macrumors regular

4. bense27 thread starter macrumors regular

5. FireArse macrumors 6502a

what it does...i think

From my understanding, it puts iChat into a p2p type mode. The data goes straight from your computer to the other node on the Internet. Bypasses the AIM servers for this part and is more secure. Data transfers could also be quicker.

One of the advantages of doing such a thing would be to reduce delay when Videoconferencing.

FireArse

6. bense27 thread starter macrumors regular

I can connect in video chat with one person, and then when I invite the third, it never works. It says "the person did not respond" or "can't connect." Any ideas on how to fix this?

and I have had successful chats with the third person when it is just me and him. I just can't do it with 3 people. We have tried mixing and matching, changing who invites who to the chat and stuff, but nothing seems to work

can anyone help?