Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
When I use ichat and enter in a three way conference the video gets really blurry for both. I realize that there is an increase in bandwith but it doesn't make sense that it would go down that much. Also the third person to join the conversation only can see herself. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
it may be going out of h.264 mode, what are the specs of every user.

(i've yet to give it a go, though i'd like to some time)

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
Just to make sure, you do exceed all of Apple's requirements, correct:

To host the conference: Dual 1GHz G4, any G5, any Intel and at least 384kbps up/down

To join the conference: 1GHz G4, Dual 800MHz G4, any G5, any Intel and at least 100kbps up/down

If you're hosting, it's quite possible you don't have 384kbps up, and if you do, that is only the bare minimum. Also, if there's anyone in the conference that doesn't meet the requirements, that person will likely slow down the entire group.

If you're not sure of your connection speed, test it here.

Good luck

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
ichat dynamically changes video quality to maintain a smooth framerate, so for example if i chat with someone over my LAN over bonjour it's perfect clarity, but if i chat to someone in america with a crappy DSL connection it's all blocky and horrible, just try to get as much bandwidth as possible.

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
I was chatting with two people on a cable connection that is quite fast. The computers were 2 macbooks and 2ghz g5 imac. The weird thing was the second person I invited only saw herself and not either of the other two people while myself and the first user could see all three.

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
Sorry to bring this post back but I'm still running into problems where I cannot connect with someone because it says that I didn't respond (it says that she didn't respond on hers.) My sister and her friend are running into the same problem with different macbooks and a different cable connection. What is going on here?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.