ichat help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wang259, Jul 24, 2006.

1. wang259 macrumors newbie

Hi, I recently purchased a macbook pro and have no regrets about my purchase. I however, have discovered one minor annoyance. When I have ichat open and i put up an away message (to leave), i close the notebook lid thinking that ichat still has me online. however, i notice that when i reopen my notebook, ichat says offline and quickly signs me online again. i was wondering if there was some way to allow me to just remain online the whole time. i have looked through the ichat preferances but can't find anything. thanks in advance.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

That would require that you not put your notebook to sleep. You could leave it open and set your display to go to sleep after a certain period of inactivity.

3. wang259 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. menziep macrumors 6502a

I dont belive so.
    For that im hoping Apple will bring out a notebook with something like Windows Vista Sideshow(see link)

Link
    http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2713 - It looks pretty good for Microsoft

5. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

There is no network activity when the laptop is put to sleep. Apple does this because your machine would overheat if it were to stay on while the lid was closed, since heat also dissipates up from the keyboard.

6. wang259 thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm that does look good....well i guess i will wait till vista then
    so you guys wouldn't suggest i turn sleep mode off when the lid goes off right?