iChat help!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jackieonasses, Aug 26, 2004.

1. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

Okay me and my girlfriend want to keep in touch while using AV. There is one problem. We do one-way video chats (she doesnt have a camera yet) and it works randomly. ONe day it will work and the other day it wont. i ws thinking it was my camera (a sony dv camcorder) but audio chat doesnt work either. she and i both have the latest updates and were wondering if anyone else had these problems?
    thanks
    kyle

2. The Mighty 38 macrumors newbie

Sounds like one or both of your computers are going through a Firewall/Router that does not have the relevent ports open for IChat AV, if thats the case then you will need to try and make sure ports 5060, 5190, 5297, 5298, 5353, 5678, 16384-16403 are open for UDP and 5190 and 5060 for TCP.

hope this helps.

TM38.

3. jackieonasses thread starter macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

thanks for the informative reply. She is using her University's IP and i am running DSL which is run through a router that has given me problems. Do you think it is software related are hardware. (i will look into it more once iam out of school!

4. jackieonasses thread starter macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

and how do you check this?

5. The Mighty 38 macrumors newbie

From my experience Ichat doesn't have much problems negotiating most routers so I would probably guess that yours will be fine and that the problem probably lies in the university side of things. They will undoubtedly be running a firewall and it is probably not set to allow AV to be sent properly, your best bet is to try and contact someone at the university and find out more about thier setup and how to sort the problem. The ports i mentioned in the previous reply should help them to sort this if they are willing, it won't pose a security risk and they will probably find more and more students having the same issues so I guess they should be sorting it out. However if you want to look at the settings of your router you should be able to access it by entering 192.168.1.1 into your internet browser URL bar, if that doesn't work check the manufacturers web page for more info.

good luck.

TM38.