iChat high CPU usage

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Koodauw, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Hello. I realativly new to the mac world and as of late I have noticed iChat has been using a very high percentage of my CPU. (approx 70-80%) The only way i have found to solve the problem is to quit iChat and then start it again. This works about 75% of the time. I have 12'' PB. Is there something wrong with my computer or is this normal? Thanks for any input.

2. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

Hey every one, I have the same problem as the previous poster. Just wanted to renew the thread. Im using panther with latest updates, iChat AV, you know the deal. Can anyone give me a reason as to why this happens ? Koodauw has been waiting over a year for a response. Do i have to wait that long too ?

3. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Is this just when you have iChat open in the background or when actually using iChat? Video chats can be pretty CPU intensive.

4. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

Open in the background, or maybe 2-3 chat windows open. I dont even have an isight or know another person who has a mac.

5. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

I used to have the same exact problem. Seems that it was caused by other people on my buddy list using some kind of strange animated GIF for their buddy icon which would cause iChat to freak out and suck up all available CPU time.

Its been a while since I had this problem, but I believe this is how you go about fixing it:

First close iChat to reset it. Then open it again. Keep activity monitor open so you can monitor iChat's CPU usage. Now, one by one, open a new chat with each person on your buddy list. When you end up starting a conversation with the person with the corrupt GIF, your CPU should sky rocket. You can now either ask the person to change their offending icon, or you can right click on their name and manually change their icon or delete it.

Hope that helps.

6. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

Thats a very interesting point that never even thought of. Ive always used ichat and didnt use a normal aim client til i started working in an all pc office. And it ocured to me that ichat couldnt display moving gifs because having that many icons in a single window would really tax the cpu. And cause me to have an epileptic siezure. Anyone reading this know if tiger has a fix for this?

7. Koodauw thread starter macrumors 68040

Koodauw

WOW, NOW EVERYONE REPLIES. THANKS

Anyways, yes it is do to the buddy icon. You best bet is to find the culprit, and replace the picture. Not to hard.

Glad you got a better responce than I.