iChat in your edit profile

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Reflow, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

As the title says. How do you add your iChat name in the edit profile? There are only these options

Instant Messaging
    You may enter your registered identity for the instant messaging networks if you would like other visitors to be able to contact you using that medium.
    ICQ Number
    AIM Screen Name
    MSN Messenger Handle
    Yahoo! Messenger Handle
    Skype Name

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I assume that since iChat uses the AIM and Jabber protocols, there's no need to make a separate entry.

3. Reflow thread starter macrumors 68000

Reflow

4. Lau Guest

In theory, if you type in your iChat name into the AIM field, it should work. :)

5. Reflow thread starter macrumors 68000

Reflow

this is what I get when I do that

Attached Files:

6. Lau Guest

That's cool, it's just firefox being careful. Click "launch application" and it should work, I think.

7. Reflow thread starter macrumors 68000

Reflow

So if I leave the way it is it would work fine? If I used Safari would you still see that box come up?

8. Lau Guest

Yes, that should be fine. I'm not sure if you would get that box in Safari, but I do in Camino. It basically means the preferences are set to tell you when an application is being launched, so if you clicked on a link or downloaded a file that was a virus, Firefox would warn you that an application was being launched. If you were only expecting, say, a picture, you would know that something was up. However, in this case, you are expecting an application to launch (i.e. iChat) and so it's all fine. It's a good security feature, in my opinion. :)

Also, don't forget that your username is displayed in the link anyway, so if someone couldn't get the link to work (highly unlikely) they could just add your username to their list. The clickable link is just a bonus, really, as it's the username that's important.

9. Reflow thread starter macrumors 68000

Reflow

Cool thanks for your help. This is the BEST Forums I ever joined :D

10. Lau Guest

No problem at all, Reflow. :)