iChat/iSight video networking with PC's?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chosenwolf, Oct 5, 2006.

1. chosenwolf macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

I'm trying to do a 1-way video chat with PC users (who have AIM 5.5 or greater) but I always get a failed connection (mainly do to firewall issues). The PC user has turned off Windows firewall and I've turned off the firewall on my MAC, but the video chat never gets initialized. I tried initiating chat on a wired and a wireless connection but to no avail. What else could it be?

Any ideas? =/

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You might want to make sure that both routers involved have the correct ports open.

3. chosenwolf thread starter macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

But if both computers have firewalls on and both are connected to the internet via an ethernet cable, there should be no ports needed to open.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

He said ROUTERS not COMPUTERS. You need to ensure the routers' ports are correctly opened.

5. chosenwolf thread starter macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

And I said both are connected to the internet via a straight ethernet cable (FROM the CABLE MODEM/DSL, no routers are involved). :rolleyes:

6. terri196 macrumors newbie

I Chat to a PC

I have tried everything My son has mac Notebook wireless using I chat/Isight, I have a PC using AM 5.5 with a web cam and we cannot connect. Any Ideas? I know you are goint to say get a MAC LOL I had one but found out I really didn't care for the Quickbooks it offered so I went back to the PC. But the MAC is great. But if anyone can help me that would be great.

7. terri196 macrumors newbie

Here is the info so you can video with your PC Friends

Q: Is AIM 6.0 compatible with AIM 5.9, AOL 9.0 and iChat?
    A: AIM 6.0 works seamlessly with AIM 5.9, AOL 9.0 and iChat® services. You can send and receive IMs with your buddies using any of these clients. However, certain advanced features may not work across all clients right now. [For example, voice chat with more than two people only works with other AIM 6.0 users, and video chat will work only between two AIM 6.0 ]users at this time.

8. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    in a nutshell, AIM to iChat or Mac AIM to PC AIM via a webcam is hit or miss at best.

I've had success many times, and got the "user failed to respond" or whatever message too..

No good reason. In this case "just cause" is the answer.

If you can, use Skype, I was blown away by how easy it was to webcam chat with people on PC's. Works EVERY time, and it's really quick and easy. Skype is the goods...