iChat Isssue - Please Help! :)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Caitlyn, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

Okay, so something is going on with my iChat. I double click on a username and nothing happens. No window where I can chat pops up. So, I single click on the name and click on the little "A button" at the bottom to generate a chat box. Again, nothing happens. I had iChax installed and thought maybe that was it. I uninstalled it and still no change. I restarted iChat as well as my computer. Can anyone help me here?

Thanks a bunch!
    -Cait

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Have you tried dragging com.apple.iChat.plist to the Desktop whilst iChat is closed? :)

3. bense27 macrumors regular

what exactly are those .plist files? I have had a few problems that i fixed doing what you just said

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

They're preference files (end in PLIST) and sometimes they get slightly corrupted. Removing them from the Preferences folder whilst the app is closed makes the app recreate the default version next time you open it up. This loses your custom preferences though. :(

However, the good news is that if you don't delete the original version but merely remove it to the Desktop (or wherever else you want) then you can get your preferences back by putting them back in the folder, assuming this didn't solve your problem in the first case. :)