ICHAT keeps closing itself before it starts

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kdeleon, Jun 29, 2004.

1. kdeleon macrumors newbie

May 14, 2004
    I have a powerbook G4 1ghz 15" running OSX 10.3.4 Everytime I try to open ichat (even from the applications folder) it starts to open, and then closes....it never actually opens all the way...I am lost! Any ideas?
  2. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    open up console under the ulitity folder, and open ichat. checks the logs in console and post the result if you need more help.
  3. RiseAgainst macrumors regular

Jun 10, 2003
    First try repairing permissions:

Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility>Select your harddrive on the left window then click "repair permissions". You might want to restart after doing this but im not sure if its necessary.

If that doesn't work try trashing your iChat preferences:
    (Note that this will reset all your iChat preferences)

UserFolder>Library>Preferences> My computer has 3 preferences associated with iChat: com.apple.ichat.aim.plist, com.apple.ichat.plist, and com.apple.ichatagent.plist. Delete these files and then try to start iChat.
    Remember, this will revert iChat to its default preferences, it will be like running it for the first time.
  4. kdeleon thread starter macrumors newbie

May 14, 2004
    ok I tried all that and it still doesnt work...is there some sort of repair function on the ILife install cd? just wondering....thanks