iChat - Latency Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SJME7, Jul 30, 2005.

1. SJME7 macrumors newbie

Is there any way to get past a latency problem?
    I purchased iSight so that I could have audio and video chats with my family. I have a Dual 1.25 GHz Power PC G4. I just upgraded to Tiger after the purchase of iSight. I keep getting the error message that there is insufficient bandwidth. After talking to both Direcway technical support and AppleCare their answer is a latency issue. Before I attempt to return the iSight - I wanted to ask if anyone knew a work around. I live in an area where my only choice of an internet provider is either dial-up or a satellite system.

I am not very technical but have access to some technical resources who can translate for me.

2. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

I don't know about the satellite, but the iSight won't really work with dial-up, you need broadband. If you want to try the satellite some more, try switching up the "bandwidth limit" under Video in the iChat preferences. Usually setting a lower limit will help, but again, iSight only really works if people on both ends have broadband.

3. cardiac dave macrumors regular

cardiac dave

4. Lazyhound macrumors regular

You don't state which type of connection you're on.

If it's 56k, you probably have insufficient bandwidth.

If it's satellite, you have to contend with the latency added by the round trip to the satellite and back.