iChat, .MAc, AIM and Google talk?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Max on Macs, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Max on Macs macrumors 6502

Max on Macs

Hi guys,

I've recently grown sick and tired of having so many different instant messengers installed to alk with my contacts. So I've decided that by April 1st I will have one instant messenger, one personal email address (business needs several, can't help that), and that's that. So I have .Mac and my @mac.com address which I will use for email and IM for personal. So I email my MSN contacts to let them know, and now I have half as many friends. No matter, they'll come running back :D

Now with the rest of my contacts, who are scattered over AIM and Google talk. I'm like, fine. .Mac works with AIM, so I just got rid of AIM, still can talk to my AIM buddies just through my .Mac account. Now I found Google talk also works with AIM, and it seems it works with .Mac too. Well, kinda. I add a Google talk buddy to my .Mac buddies, and I show up on their buddy list immediately, but we can't message eachother because both our services think the other is offline. What's going on here ?

Thanks

2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Um...

Dude...Adium....icq, yahoo, .mac, aim, msn and jabber

3. mcmillan macrumors 6502

As appleretailguy said, you can use one instant messenger with many protocols. You can still use AIM, .Mac and Google Talk all within one application. If I remember right, Adium, Fire and Proteus are all free multi-protocol messengers, so you can choose from any of those, however, people's favorite seems to be Adium :D (with some exception of course). The link in my sig has a lot of info about all that.

4. Max on Macs thread starter macrumors 6502

Max on Macs

Hi guys,

I've tried Adium and it's just too annoying. One network drops a connection and you don't notice because another one is working and so much other rubbish. In theory I should be able to use my .Mac account to talk to people with .Mac, AIM and Google talk. It works except Google talk and .Mac contacts always see each other as offline. Just wondering if there is a reason for this and how to correct it?

Thanks

5. DerChef macrumors 6502

DerChef

Proteus does all that Adium does with a slicker less complex interface and is now free.:cool:

6. findpankaj macrumors member

too many messengers

Can I use iChat for Google talk service? I want to use voice chat with my Google talk buddies....

How does jabber work on iChat....How is that service available to an end user?
    Is it free??

7. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)

Have you gone back through the Google set-up and made sure that all settings (especially those dealing with security) are right?

Edit: I didn't realize you meant you wanted to use your .mac name to talk to people on Google Talk. iChat can also connect to Google Talk, but you can't cross-chat between .Mac/AIM and Google Talk.

Yes, you can use Google Talk on with iChat. The voice service AFAIK does not support iChat. Jabber appears just like Bonjour Messaging or AIM/.Mac Instant Messaging does, in a separate buddy window.