iChat Modifications

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jopling, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Jopling macrumors 6502

I've been using Chax for iChat for about 1 or 2 weeks now and it really has improved ichat. Im still not completely happy with ichat though. Are there any programs out there to make iChat's buddy list more minimalist like adiums? If there aren't how hard would it be to program more buttons at the top of the list alongside your name, such as refresh buddylist or view info?

Attached Files:

2. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

i wish Adium had video support, then it'd be the ultimate messenger program

3. Jopling thread starter macrumors 6502

I really wish there was some sort of 3rd party support for adium that just allowed it to piggyback on ichat for video support. I'm running on a MacPro, so it really wouldn't be a huge tax on system resources.

4. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

make iChat more minimalist?! by adding buttons?! :confused:

5. jasko macrumors 6502

jasko

All I wish was for iChat to have the mouseover infomation and display when hovering over a name on the list, like Adium does. (online time, idle time, away message, buddy icon) :(

I know Chax has a feature like this, but it's hella ugly and not as informative.

Hope it has it in Leopard.

6. Jopling thread starter macrumors 6502

I was saying in two different scenarios. My one friend uses adium because it has a feature to view info when you're chatting with someone. I personally don't look at people's profiles, but apparently this is the selling point of adium(for him) and the fact it takes up less screen real estate. I guess it would be nice to have the option of having that toolbar on chat windows in iChat. Anyone know how to do it? I'm surprised Chax doesn't have it.

7. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

if you want it to be more minimalist, try making the iChat window horizontally smaller!

8. Jopling thread starter macrumors 6502

That aside adium can take up a lot less space and it doesn't distract as much.

9. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

The things mentioned in this thread plus I love the fact that Adium allows you to have a borderless and semi transparent buddy list :)

10. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

ichat needs msn and yahoo support

although most of my friends are on aim, i have a few that are on yahoo and a couple on msn. i think many people on this site would say similar to this, and is probably the reason i would use adium instead of ichat, but ichat has video support. i would love for apple to make ichat yahoo and msn compatible for the next version, then i could possibly use ichat all the time.

i also think we should have the option to display either the buddy's aim icon or their picture if they are on address book so we can recognize them a bit better.

11. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Actually you can do this. Just right-click the buddy and hit Get Info. The rest you can figure out yourself.