iChat not loading

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by masterjedi73, Mar 4, 2004.

1. masterjedi73 macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

hey all -

I've just been running AIM 4.7 on my G5, but I decided I wanted to look into iChat yesterday.

When I click on the icon it just bounces and then stops. Nothing loads. I went into the finder for it and the same thing happened.

Why won't it load? Any ideas?

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Tried deleting the iChat prefs?

So, in <your home>/Library/Preferences/ trash the following files:
    com.apple.iChat.AIM.plist
    com.apple.iChat.plist
    com.apple.iChatAgent.plist

Maybe it'll help. Could be that the AIM software has a negative influence on your AIM settings in iChat.

3. masterjedi73 thread starter macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

Those files aren't there. Thanks for responding, though.

4. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Yeah.. I've got three macs and on two of them, it did that for a few months after installing Panther.. one day, they just started working without me doing anything. There are no error logs, pref deletion does nothing. It's rather strange.. try reparing permissions maybe? I got no idea..

5. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

Try reinstalling from your Panther disk (Pacifist will let you break apart .pkgs and view contents).

6. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Apple voodoo

I'm telling you, there is some serious Apple voodoo going on here. Check out this thread.

A few days ago, iChat stopped working for me, too. The icon bounces up and down and then stops, but the program never opens. This was an inconvenience, but I just switched over to AIM, no big deal. Things start to get really strange, though. The same thing started happening on my friend's iBook at the exact same time. iChat--and only iChat--stopped working on two unconnected machines at the same time. It gets stranger, though. Periodically, iChat will start working again. For example, it seems that mid-day, iChat will load fine, but by the time night rolls around again, it goes back to bouncing and not loading. And it starts and stops working at the exact same times on both machines! This can't be a coincidence, but there is really no logical explanation, save some extremely odd bug in iChat :confused: . Reinstalling Panther is not really an option at this point because I don't have time to back up my HD, so I guess I will just use AIM for now :( , unless someone can find a solution.

7. pawn macrumors newbie

ichat doesnt work anymore

yea hm ichat doesnt work for me anymore either,i had installed the new 2.1 beta, and figured that it had expired after awhile, but i get it to run only sometimes after deleting the prefs, finally was able to revert to the original 2.0 version. but it also is having the same launch trouble!