iChat not showing buddies in buddy list

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by G4scott, Feb 23, 2003.

1. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

iChat is being really wierd for me... It connects, but none of my buddies appear in my buddy list. When I try to add some that I know are online, it doesn't show that they're online, and when I try to IM them, it says that they're not online. My computer was on all day with an away message up, and something it appears, has killed it.

Any advice?

2. uhlawboi80 macrumors 6502

that happens sometimes...buddy lists are saved on an AIM server somwhere. If the server has problems your list wont show anyone online or alot of times offline. It just cant retrieve your list.

give it a bit and restart it...it should be fine soon

3. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

I have had this problem since day 1, and iChat has NEVER worked for me. I have deleted buddies. added them all back, restarted, fixed permissions, f-sck (or whatever that command is) until the cows came home, and nothing. I've been waiting for somesort of an update, but man, nada, zip, zilch, zero, bupkis. I wish I could help, but if you figure it out, please let me know.

Regards,
    Gus

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I had the problem too, since i upgraded to 10.2.4, iChat has been lost somewhere. I then Restarted into OS9, played some games for a while, did some file maintence to my TEMP folder and restarted. Boom iChat was back and working great, no problems since. And Gus, just try reinstalling OSX again (Over your existing Version) that may help.

TEG

5. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

Try this..

If that buddy or buddies is in your address book, delete them from the address book and try again.

I found that to work for me whenever I have that problem.

6. G4scott thread starter macrumors 68020

G4scott

They all came back. It must've been a server problem. Thanks, though.

7. mattpen macrumors member

this has happened to me before, the way to fix it is to set ur privacy to block everyone, save it, go back into the preferences and allow everyone. THen it should work just fine

8. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Thanks, but iChat is not worth re-installing the OS. Anyway, an application in OS X should not require a reinstall, I don't care what the problem is.

Thanks, though!

Regards,
    Gus