iChat photo suddenly appears in email headers??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Invizzible, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Invizzible macrumors regular

Suddenly, on my mom's iMac (running Tiger), whenever she gets an email from me, my iChat photo appears over on the right side of the header of the email. I have no idea where there might be a setting to switch this functionality on/off. Anyone know about this? I'm fairly certain it's a setting on her computer, and not on mine. It allows her to see someone's iChat photo in an email that they send her. I've looked in Mail, and iChat, but can't find a setting that suggests it controls this function.

2. joker2 macrumors 6502a

joker2

If the sender is from a .mac address, it searches for the icon automatically -- it is in the "composing" preference of .mac ...

3. Invizzible thread starter macrumors regular

Neither of us has a .mac account, so that can't be what's causing it. There must be a setting somewhere...but I can't find it. She says this just started happening a few days ago. I was over there on her computer a few days ago, and I did open iChat and use it to chat with a friend, but I didn't [intentionally] change any settings. However, my using her iChat does seem to be in the correct time frame for when this function was switched on. I've looked through all the iChat settings on my computer today, and haven't noticed anything that might cause the pic to suddenly show up in email.

4. joker2 macrumors 6502a

joker2

It may have something to do with all iChat contacts are also cards in the addressbook. Any addressbook entry with a picture will show up in the Mail header when you're viewing mail from that person.

5. Invizzible thread starter macrumors regular

Yup, you got it! I just figured it out. I can assign a picture to incoming emails by doing the following:

I opened up "Address Book"

Then I selected the person who I wanted a picture to appear for in the emails they send me.

Then from the top menu bar, I clicked on "Card" and selected "Choose Custom Image"

Then at the bottom of the window that pops up, I clicked the "Choose" button, and navigated to the picture I wanted to use for that person.

After selecting the picture, I clicked the "Open" button, and then the "Set" button.

The strange thing is, why did this suddenly start happening on my mom's computer, all by itself??? There's no way someone could 'accidently' go through all those steps (unless I was sleep-computing).

6. joker2 macrumors 6502a

joker2

I believe it will automatically set those as the iChat icon if the contact originally was created as an iChat contact.

7. ezkimo macrumors regular

I believe iChat automatically adds your image to your address card. If your ichat name, and email address are stored in the same card, it would later appear in mail.

8. Invizzible thread starter macrumors regular

That must be it!! When using my mom's iChat recently, I must've noticed that she had no picture assigned to me in her buddy list, so I probably added one. Since my card in her Address Book probably has both my email and my iChat listed, it linked the two and started putting my pic in emails I send her. Ok. Thanks for the clarification.

9. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Mail uses the image you have set in your address book as yourself. Its done it since Jaguar I think. :rolleyes: