ichat port configuring through firewall....?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by whyrichard, Jan 21, 2005.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

does anyone know if there is a way I can use ichat through my school's annoying firewall?

supposedly you can change the port in the pref's... but to what?

thanks,

r.

2. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

I'd kinda like to know how to do this too... Our public library has free wireless internet, and while I can understand blocking ports normally used for illegal activity, I can't use Mail or iChat. (Or Adium, for that matter.) Is it possible to change which port the apps use? Thanks!

3. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

The ports for the AIM network are set by AOL. You can use AOL Express though, through the AIM website.

5. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Alright, what about programs like BitTorrent? (Or Tomato Torrent for that matter.) I'd kinda like to download the YDL 3.0 linux distro there, as I've got dial-up at home. :( I've tried downloading it from the actual YDL mirrors, but due to the high traffic, I get 15 KB/s max. I've heard that you can get much higher speeds when using a torrent to get the iso's though, how would I change the ports for that? Thanks!