ichat problem ???!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tomaz, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Tomaz macrumors 6502

hey everyone

I've been trying to use ichat for a few days now but can't get it to run properly.
    Accounts are setup on both computers and worked fine within the same home network (bonjour and over the internet). Now I'm in Canada and my Dad is in Europe and ichat won't work anymore. We see each other in the contacts, see if we're active or not and can use text messaging. But when we initiate an audio or videochat, it won't connect. In detail: We can initiate an a/v-chat, it "rings" on the other persons computer, the other person can accept and it says "connecting...", but then gives an error saying "Person X didn't respond". Funnily, sometimes that Person X is me, sometimes it's my Dad, independetly of who called. This happens both for video and audio. Both firewalls are turned off.
    Anyone any ideas ???

2. Tomaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Some more details I forgot:
    We both have ADSL connections (>1Mbit)
    He uses a ethernet cable connection to the modem
    I use Airport express...

3. freddy11 macrumors newbie

I have been having the same problem. It gives me the same message when I try connecting with one of my brothers, but it works fine with my other brother. Very strange

4. Tomaz thread starter macrumors 6502

5. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

6. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

That's an alternative, not a solution.

I'm having the same issue...I did a feedback report to Apple...we'll see if anything comes of that.

My only guess is some hardware config on routers and such is doing it...but, I never saw this issue under Panther.

Maybe we're running different iChats? There is a tiger version 3.0 and 3.0.1....

7. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

...even though adium does not do video or audio chat, and that's obviously his problem.

8. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Good point. Try skype?

9. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

do u got the proper port forwarded on your airport express the internal settings if u dont have the proper ports forwrded it wont work if im correct the airport express has nat with is a hardware firewall that u cant turn off and that is why u need to properly forward the ports . you need to find out what ports that your irc client uses for the audio video chat cause it would use diffrent ports than the text chat i learnd this from setting up my mac on a linksys router cause i could chat but not dcc send any files cause the proper port or port's in the router wasnt forwarded.

10. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy