iChat, problems with video chat. Help?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MrSugar, Jul 15, 2005.

1. MrSugar macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

Hi there,

I am currently in New Zealand studying abroad until this November. I have been trying to iChat with my girlfriend back in denver, we both have Powerbooks and iSights. So here's the tricky part, when I first got here and signed online, we were able to start up a video chat after a few tries, but now it seems that every time we try it just comes back with,

Failed to start Video Chat because:
    Bruce Lastname did not respond.

She gets the same message on here end, yet with her name in place.

Also, we can both connect to Apple's test server, so I don't know if it's a bandwidth or a firewall issue. But if it was a firewall issue, why did it work the first time? Any advice you have would be great!

2. dadada2000 macrumors newbie

Did you ever get it working?? because i'm getting the same error :-\
    :(

3. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

That's usually the error I get when video chatting with someone who is on a PC using AIM. Never had that problem mac to mac. With the PC, 9 out 10 times it is a firewall issue (or messenger trying to monopolize the camera). This website helped out some of my buddies.....

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

If you both are behind NAT (wireless or wired) routers, that's the problem. If not, I can't imagine what could be going wrong... who's calling who? Have you tried both ways?