iChat problems.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Draft, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Draft macrumors 6502

As of 5 minutes ago, I've started getting the following message from aolsystemmsg:

Your screen name (...) is now signed into AOL(R) Instant Messenger (TM) in 2 locations. Click here for more information.

I know for a fact that I am not logged in in 2 different places. Also, I changed my password in my .mac account and it still is giving me the same message. Everytime that I log in, same message.

Anyone ever have this problem? Is someone using my information? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Draft

2. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

aol changed some stuff and they now allow you to sign in to multiple accounts. apparently, you must have signed on somewhere and forgot to sign off... either that or someone keeps getting your password.

3. dmbfloydian macrumors member

I had this problem too, but got it with AIM also.

What happened was our network at school was so slow that when I signed off on my computer, it didn't send a message to the AOL servers saying I did sign off.
    So when I would sign on again, it would say I was signed on twice.

It also happened when I would dial-out of campus, and connect to AIM. If i didn't sign off of AIM before closing the dial-up connection, AIM would remain online (somehow) according to their servers.

Its tricky because it's dumb.

Make sure you close all connections thoroughly.
    Sometimes I had to dialup, sign on, sign off, then close. then go back to the LAN and sign on, to make it work right.

4. Draft thread starter macrumors 6502

The problem is that I don't log in anywhere else... Ever. Just from home, and always from the same computer.

One thing I noticed is that it started happening right when I tried to VPN in to work from home. Could that have something to do with it?

Thanks,

5. mwjd299 macrumors regular

I had the same problem a couple of days ago when I was disconnected from my ISP. I re-connected without stopping iChat and got that message. after trying several things, I went to the top bar, iChat/Log out of AIM and logged back in, that stopped the message for me.

6. King Cobra macrumors 603

I get that when my bastard ISP suddenly disconnects me (dial-up) without [much] warning, AND I'm logged into iChat. I connect back to the internet, automaticallly get signed on to AIm through iChat (bad iChat), then get the evil pop-up.

And auto-blocking the system just doesn't work...

7. Draft thread starter macrumors 6502

That's a relief. Each time I logged into the VPN it would kick my MSN account. I'm guessing that at the same time, it was kicking my AIM account for a split second, causing the above mentioned problem.

My original thought was that someone else was logging into my account, but nobody has my password. Scary stuff.

Anyway, thanks for all of the responses and the piece of mind.

Thanks,

8. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Thanks for this thread, I just got this message as well from AOL. But while I was pondering as to who had access to my account I realised my wireless network connection had dropped.

But rather than totally drop the connection, I noticed OSX switched me to somebody elses unsecured wireless network down the road (unsecured networks are great yes?). I rebooted my router and switched back, then I got the AOL message.

I thought something really bad happened to me when infact OSX was being really clever. I'm going to ask my windows using friends if their OS does the same trick! :D

9. andymogil macrumors newbie

ichat

no cell phones or other terminals you used .. friends such.....i ge that when im on cell phone pda and anything that has aim