Ichat problems

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by crapday, Mar 7, 2004.

1. crapday macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I have been trying to help my dad setting up ichat. When he trys to set up ichat he sets it to run with his .mac account, but when he trys to enter buddys in the buddy list it trys to connect to aol, it then informs him that it can't connect. No matter what he seems to do he can't sort it out. Any help will be greatly accepted.

Thanx.

crapday.

2. lisalisa macrumors newbie

iChat problems

I'm trying to chat with a friend in Morocco and am having a similar problem. We can text chat just fine, but when we try to audio chat it won't work. If I initiate the audio chat, it eventually times out. If she initiates the audio chat, I can accept the chat and it says that it is connecting, but then times out. I've audio chatted with other people so I don't think the problem is on my end. She has a broadband connection, so I dont know what the problem could be. We seem to be text chatting in real time with no delays.

Can anyone advise?
    Thanks! :confused:

3. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

.Mac accounts are just screen names for the AOL IM network. iChat needs to connect to AOL in order to work. Are you sure that your internet settings are correct? Is your password correct?

AOL has been getting a little dodgy and there are some outages for small periods of time. So if everything seems correct, try again tomorrow.

4. lisalisa macrumors newbie

no joy yet

Still no luck today. I have a sneaking suspicion that her modem is the problem. She is connecting to the internet through an external USB modem. Her passwords work fine because we can text chat with no problem. It only when she tries to do a voice chat that it fails.

5. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

lisalisa

it may not have enough bandwidth for voice (yeah crazy)...

but also, are you and your friend both using iChat? if you are using ichat with aim, it probably will not work, as is my experience.

6. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

i don't mean to insult you, but are you both running on macs? if no, is she using AIM 5.5? i believe that you can audio between AIM 5.5 and ichat.

reality