iChat Profile question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by masterjedi73, Apr 6, 2004.

1. masterjedi73 macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

Is there a way to set a profile through iChat? I have one set for AIM, but it doesn't appear through iChat. I can't seem to figure this one out.

thanks

2. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

i havent found one either. even though apple likes to play nice with AOL in music distribution, i dont think AOL likes to play nice with other people having the full capabilities of the AIM program.

3. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

i dont think so..if you're desparate for a profile-driven client there are a couple...admium, i forget the others.
    and then of course good ole AIM for MAc.

4. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

i think not having profiles is just plain dumb. even worse, if you set one in AIM and then log in using iChat, your profile is deleted. Why?
    here's my answer: Apple - iChat - Feedback

reality

5. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

it all depends on what you use aim for. when i was in college i would have torn my hair out using ichat with no profiles (i was on windows using deadAIM at that point), but now i just don't have time to upkeep a profile so its just as well.
    however, i do agree that for many its an important feature.
    wouold you rather have a profile or an away message feature? could be an interesting poll.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The only thing I need out of an iChat profile is a display name other than my email address. Anyone know how to do this? I don't really use the profile feature in the other IM clients I have (and that I can be IM'd with), anyway.

7. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

i dont' really see the point of a profile... but maybe that is because i maintain my own personal webpage

8. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

here's how you get your profile...

1. Quit iChat
    2. Go to your Applications folder and locate the program 'iChat'
    3. Drag the Application 'iChat' to the trash in your dock
    4. Click the Finder menu and select 'Secure Empty Trash'. Click OKAY when prompted
    5. Open Safari
    6. In the address bar, type http://www.adiumx.com
    7. On the right side of the screen, click to download the newest Alpha release of Adium 2.0
    8. Problem solved :)

9. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

i would vote away message, but still it's such a simple feature. and you can easily see other's profiles. why not your own?

on windows i just put my e-mail address and a link to my homepage and i'd occasionally switch between some cool quotes. teens these days like to read profiles (myself included) and i get lots of "why don't you have a profile?"'s which is such a pain to answer...

reality

10. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

true.
    of course, you can always run AIM and Ichat simultaneously, although ive only done that when i needed to put up an away message, no idea which one supercedes which in the event of an actual IM.

11. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

Rock on. :cool: Adium is good stuff. I hope they can focus on perfecting the features in process, de-geekify it a tiny bit, and hit the beta stage pretty soon. But still, it's been quite usable for me as an alpha. Does almost everything I need except file transfers and user icon setting.

12. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

file transfers won't work if you are behind a router... it's a libgaim problem, not adium

as for buddy icons, just set your buddy icon in the address book. as long as you keep address book integration on (default setting), then your buddy icon will work (using TOC on 10.3 - not TOC2 )

13. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

. . . put a link to your personal webpage on your profile! i have a personal webpage but i am not going to IM like 50 of my friends telling them to look at it. if they want to look at it they should be able to see it on my profile. . . . until then i just put it in my away message and a couple have gotten the hint to look at it.