IChat question from extremely new user!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by brendanx, Oct 11, 2004.

1. brendanx macrumors newbie

I have signed on and can see the friends list with IChat (say that username is XXX) but I want to sign off that AIM account and sign on with a new account (say my username is YYY). I am not even sure how to do this but I want to be on my screenname. All I see if a red circle, a yellow one and a green one.

I know this is a dumb question but how do I sign out of XXX, add my account name (YYY) and password and use my login and friends list with IChat???

Thank you!

2. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

not as easy at AIM, but can be done

Go into the preferences of iChat. In there, there is an option to select "accounts", within this you can change who is signed in. Unfortunately, there is no quick way of doing this as there is with AIM. You have to do this everytime you want to switch names.

3. diehldun macrumors 6502a

then what are the benefits of using iChat as opposed to AIM? I've always run AIM as opposed to iChat because I happen to find it complicated to use...

4. dotnina macrumors 6502a

If you're only using the text chat feature of AIM, I'm not sure there would be any benefits.

Personally I use Proteus. Coming from an AIM-on-Windows background, I thought some features were a little un-intuitive. Things didn't exactly map 1:1 with AIM, so I moved to Proteus. I would have just stuck to the AIM for Mac, but I think it's fugly. :)

5. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

only one reason why I use iChat

The only reason I use iChat is because it is so easy to do audio/video chats with people. My dad, sister and I (including some friends) all have iSights, and it's just so simple to click a button and then see the person. If another program could do it that smooth I would switch instantly.

6. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

what's complicated about it? I only use iChat and it always works great for me.

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Hmmm...

really, what's the point of having multiple screen names on aim? I don't get ppl who do and them use them regularly. iChat works great because it's simple, opens up in MY account every time and doesn't have stupid bots.

8. diehldun macrumors 6502a

well call me rearted but I don't see what's so hard starting up AIM as opposed to iChat. the buddy list is so complicated on iChat!

9. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Okay.

Okay, you're retarded or you just can't spell.
    AIM is perfectly acceptable for some, but I think neither is perfect. Far from, actually.

10. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

Can you only use the vid/audio option of the other person you're trying to connect has a mac and ichat as well? I couldn't connect to any of my friends and they all have PC's. I don't have isight, but I still can't use the audio option. On ichat or aim. Am I missing something?

11. point665 macrumors regular

iChat had its bugs but is great now, and compared to AIM it leaves it in the dust... try file transfering on AIM for mac, yeah you cant type much... (Not sure if they fixed this bug yet, but everything besides the file trasnfer would lock up on AIM before).

12. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

how important is your friend?

As one who doesn't use multiple screen names, I feel awkward trying to explain the choices of others. But, I see the different screen names as allowing you to give different names to different people. If your boss and your best friend both use AIM, do you really want to have your boss tell you to come to work on a Saturday while you are chatting with your friend. Same way if you know somebody but rather they not hassle you while you talk to other (more important) people.

Not a sermon, just a thought. (If you're from DC and listen to WTOP you might get that, otherwise ignore it)

-Neil

13. point665 macrumors regular

The only good point of multiple screennames that I see is if you are a small hosting company or something that wants to offer live support via AIM (since soo many people use it) to your clients, you want to be on all the time but you dont want to change your current screenname and go threw the process of giving everyone else a new one, but also you dont want your business clients IMing "deathmaxxx69mp5" (hopefully thats no ones real SN)

14. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

You have to make sure the other person has the most upto date version of AIM. They don't have to have a Mac or iChat or an iSight for the audio or video to work. I do one way video with a lot of my friends who are on a PC. It takes a few minutes for them to set up the preferences( like making sure they don't have a firewall up) and they always have to download some patch for AIM too. Once it's working, it really works pretty well and I have convinced some of my friends to get webcams because of it.

15. uperwriter macrumors newbie

OK so here's my related question i.e. multiple ichat accounts PLEASE HELP

i am trying to get a secondary aim address but to use on my ichat. i don't see a placed to do it through ichat - now when i go to aol.com and try to log in under my usual screename, etc - it is not trying to make me sign up for aol.com - as if you can't do that anymore - which would mean that i can't have 2 accounts to go between.

anybody know how to do this? i don't think there is any longer a way. and i am certainly not about to sign up for aol when i don't want it. guess they're getting greedy. thanks.

16. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Mac and PC cannot do audio chat via iChat/AIM. At least one of you has to have a camera. Don't ask me why they haven't implemented audio only into this (you can use Skype instead - www.skype.com) but it doesn't work unfortunately.

17. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

rofl :D

Just go to aim.com and register another name. That's it.