iChat question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mrsq, Jan 6, 2005.

1. mrsq macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if there are any negative implications for allowing people in an office or school to use iChat to communicate back and forth? Does iChat use a lot of bandwidth? Will using it in an office or school affect the network in a negative way?

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

iChat is doesn't use much bandwidth at all. When video conferencing, the bandwidth usage increases but its not too bad. I don't see any real negative effects on the network unless the whole network is video chatting or if you don't have a lot of bandwith to begin with.

To get more specific, what type of internet connection are we talking about?

3. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

iChat is great for communitcating and helping kids out. A teacher can anwser their kids questions personally after school is out, or even have a student watch or listen in during the school day if they are out sick, that is if the student wants too. It should raise a little bandwidth, but should be fine if you have a T1 or bigger.

Also, no need for inter office calling over the phone to not have anyone there on the other line. Now you know the person is in, that is if they havn't walked away from the computer while iChat is on.

Rendevous is built in so everyone should be able to connect without a need to go outside the network when doing interoffice communicating. Also, in Tiger Server, there should be iChat server built into it I believe.

4. mrsq thread starter macrumors newbie

iChat question

We have a T1 line.

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I wouldn't worry about iChat then. Worry about other things like p2p.

6. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

but even with T1 many school networks are very slow. Although, there are many schools that use ichat.

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I wouldn't blame a slow network on iChat--not one with a T1 anyway.