iChat Question

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by jameshalldotcom, Oct 25, 2002.

1. jameshalldotcom macrumors newbie

Is it possible to create/edit an AIM profile using iChat?
    If so, how?

Thanks,
    James

2. onemoof macrumors member

3. jameshalldotcom thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, quick reply.

Here's another one.

Other than iChat, is there a good, reliable AIM client that:
    - allows you to edit your profile
    - has most of AIM's buddy alerts
    - allows you to automatically log conversations
    - doesn't completely suck
    - isn't Adium
    ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    James

4. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I may be wrong, but I think profile editing (as well as away message viewing) is a feature of the OSCAR protocol which none of the 3rd party Mac AIM clients (Adium, Fire, Proteus) use. There used to be a banner-removal patch for the official AOL AIM client, which makes that client tolerable, but I think the author was forced to pull it, and it was for an older version anyway. (Not that I didn't save a copy onto my hard disk before it was pulled :D)

5. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Oh sure, qualify the thing to death.

AIM's actual Client would be the only one I can think of that meets all those criteria. I'm actually really enjoying iChat and before Jag I was using Adium. It would help for you to define what precisely you qualify as "suckage" so we can better help you. I suggest you actually play with Adium, AIM or iChat for more than a couple minutes before deciding they suck.

6. jameshalldotcom thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.

None of the 3 clients mentioned really suck, they just don't really meet my needs, and if there's something better out there, I'd be interested in it.

Not being able to edit my profile eliminates iChat, not being able to see away messages eliminated Adium, and the official AIM Client is a little slow, bulky, and advertisment-ridden for my tastes. But obviously, if there are no better alternatives, I'll just go back to the official AIM client. Are there any better alternatives? Are there any in the works?

Does Trillian have a MAC version?

7. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Welllllllll............

As to editing your profile.... Adium works. I rarely IM with anyone who's not on my Buddy List and don't really pay attention to profiles so iChat has served well. Most 3rd party clients are based on the same opensource code that Adium is written from and therefore are equally as limited.

I keep Adium in my Dock and switch to it when I can't see someone through iChat that I think may be looking to get ahold of me..... there are some issues with iChat not "seeing" 3rd party clients.

Most of my IM communication is perfect for iChat: a bit of file sharing and a lot of basic networking. Both iChat and Adium can be set to Log Chat sessions and have multiple options for AIM sounds and alert actions.

8. Fezwick macrumors 6502

There is a hack to get rid of the ads in the offical AIM client. You can download it here.

9. jaredcash macrumors newbie

There is Proteus which is AIM, MSN, Jabber, ICQ, and Yahoo all rolled into one. Fire is a similar product, though much buggier, in my opinion. But I haven't used either in a while, so it's hard to tell. I wouldn't necessarily give up entirely on iChat just yet, however. There will be an update to it in the next system software revision through Software Update which should be available within a month. It's said to to fix a lot of bugs in iChat (thoughI've only ever seen one bug) and probably add features, as well. We'll see, though.

Jared