iChat Question

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ponyboy, Aug 12, 2002.

1. ponyboy macrumors regular

Question: I am clueless about AOL so help me out. iChat is AIM and .mac compatible right? Well I am skipping on .mac dont need it and I have never had or planned on having AOL. Therefore does this render ichat totally useless to me? Not that the program is useless but unusable. And if I have to have an AOL account to use it how much does that cost? Will this end up being the most expensive iapp ever?

2. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

You don't need Aol to use AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) when you get iChat it will give you the option to signup for .Mac or AOL (I think, although I am not perfectly sure)

Ensign

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

only thing ensign didn't mention is that it is free

so it's not too big a deal to register a name or 20

4. ponyboy thread starter macrumors regular

Right .mac or AOL I knew that but like I said I dont plan on paying for .mac I dont need it so does AOL cost? or can you just get a sign in name?

5. ponyboy thread starter macrumors regular

thanks jello didnt see your reply before my last post

6. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

Oh no. AOL Instant Messenger is totally free. The actual AIM client (there's one for X) has ads on it. You can communicate with people who actually use AOL as their ISP as well as the millions of people who only use AIM for chat. Basically, iChat is an alternative chat client that taps into the same AIM network. So even if you don't use .Mac, you can sign up for a free AIM screen name and use it that way.

I too have a couple of iChat questions for those of you with developer's previews...

1) How do the user pictures work? Is it basically like Buddy Icons where you pick your picture and it automatically sends it to your buddies? Do you have to assign pictures to your buddies, or do you automatically receive whatever they've chosen?

2) I'm pretty addicted to Adium and tabbed chatting... how does iChat measure up?

7. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I have only used the WWCD beta of iChat and it was kinda eh, asium kils it, but that was then and this is now so it might be better

8. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

I'm using iChat right now. Great little client. Much better looking than AIM or Adium. And yes, AIM is free.

9. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

I've got a question myself:

Is it compatible with msn?

The thing is, in US you probably have lots of people using AOL and AIM, but here in Europe nobody.
    msn here is without a doubt the biggest IM, all my friends are on it.
    I like ichat a lot if it would be super if it were compatible with msn.
    (then I can finally ditch that @#@ M$ msn)

10. mueng macrumors member

making groups in ichat?

Does anyone with the betas of Jaguar/iChat know if it is possibile to make groups like in AOL instant messenger?

It's really annoying to have all the people on your list in one giant list. There's reasons I've separated these people. It's really bad when you have 160 people on your buddy list (not that i talk to all of them)

Thanks

11. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

It seems the younger generations use MSN as it is standard on PC's and hotmail is a common term these days...the older people use AIM and ICQ and all because they came about before MSN...anyway, I'm trying to get friends onto AIM so that iChat has a use for me...