iChat questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacMosher, Oct 7, 2006.

1. MacMosher macrumors 6502

MacMosher

Hey,

Just got my new Macbook, and I have a question about iChat. Is it possible to use an email server other then .mac? I don't use AOL... mainly cause its not popular in Canada, can you transfer it to MSN messenger at all? Im pretty sure one of my friends has had it like that but Im not sure how he did it and I can't get a hold of him.

Any in-sight would be great

Thanks
    Mosher

2. Nar1117 macrumors 6502

Hmm,

I dont think iChat does MSN... in fact im pretty sure it doesnt. Only AIM and .Mac. However, you could download AdiumX, another chat client that looks very similar to iChat and im pretty sure that Adium does MSN, AIM, .Mac, and maybe Yahoo.... thats probably what youre looking for.

http://adiumx.com/

3. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Yes he would have done it through Jabber there is a way to run through that to do it. However I would highly recommend adium. I am in canada and thats all I use its great. At first you make not like it but once you have it setup how you like it, it grows on you.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

5. MacMosher thread starter macrumors 6502

MacMosher

I got Microcrap Messenger would you recommend the switch to Adium? Im not a huge fan of the Micro one now so I wouldn't mind... but if there pretty much the same I don't care

6. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

definately. no questions about it.

7. MacMosher thread starter macrumors 6502

MacMosher

ok sweet, got adium.

any way to get rid of the duck having an orgasim noises ahah didn't see anything in preferences but maybe Im just blind

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Orgasim? What exactly would that be? ;)

Adium menu -> Preferences -> Events Pane -> Sound Set. Choose a different one or "none." Otherwise go through the list of individual sound events listed below and edit the ones you want. :)

9. MacMosher thread starter macrumors 6502

MacMosher

"orgasm" sorry ahaha

anyways works great, thanks everyone :)

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If there is some messaging software you used previously and you want Adium to look or sound like it, go back to the adium website check out the extras -- there are some pretty cool things like sound sets and themes.

11. MacMosher thread starter macrumors 6502

MacMosher

New Question :

Im currently running Adium x.... Its great when its working, but its shutting down by itself once in a while randomly. Thats not so much the problem as signing in and out like mad. Hard to have a conversation with somone when you keep signing in and out.

I don't think its my internet connection, as I am wired in right now. But you never no maybe its bad wire, how do I check my connection rate.

Any other solutions?

Mosher

p.s. thanks you guys are a great help