Ichat rant

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by synthetickittie, Jun 9, 2003.

1. synthetickittie macrumors regular

oh first off some of there MAY be able to fixed by 3rd party apps but this is not software made bys ome crap company, its apple, it sould be goo on it own. Also if Im wrong about something just correct me and dont go off on me because I'll be able if Im wrong about something...

things wrong with ichat-

+profiles+
    1. you cant make your own
    2.you cant read someone elses unless they are on your buddy list
    3. when you do check someones you cant even click on a link in their profile so if its not writtin out fully your kinda screwed
    4. when you check someones profile and its longer then that little box theres no dam scroll bars to scroll down the profile, so you have to click inside the box and click down on your keyboard.

+chatting+
    1. only one line to type in and to those who have said "do you realy normally type more then just one line when your chatting?" well hell ya I do all the time
    2. when you send over a file, not file transfer, but dirrect connecting way ichat doesnt show you how much of the pic or what ever it is has been sent to the person. Also Ive sent things this way a couple of times and then have to ask the person did you get that? and get a "no nothing" from them and other times ichat shows the exact same thing and the person goes ya I got it... so I have no dam way of knowing if people did what I sent them or not besides from asking them
    3. in aim when someones typing you a message it says if they're accually typing or if they just wrote something in and stoped typing it says somethin different.. in ichat that bubble pops up when someones typing and show no difference if the person is typin or just typed and stoped typing
    4. doesnt support animated icon AT ALL.. cant see somones and cant use one for your own icon

Now Im probably forget a few that I'll remember lata but come on these are things that I NEED and its not like AIM doesnt have ALL these things. Now most of these are features but come on number 3 and 4 that I wrote under "profiles" are A LOT more like things that you would fix in a dam beta program

2. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

I'm not too happy about all the profile problems

While chatting I really don't mind one line. And I write multi-line messages alot. It's only really a problem if you want to edit a message or if you copy in text with a return at the end. Then you don't see what you copied unless you use the arrow keys to move through the text.

As far as the file transfer, I haven't had much luck with any client, so that doesn't bother me much

I don't find the bubble problem to be worth complaining about.

And I've never noticed the animated problem. I'll have to look for that.

3. Simon Liquid macrumors regular

There is a hack to give you more lines of text to enter. I forget what it's called, but if you poke around a little, you should find it. That's no excuse, I agree, for it not being a basic feature.

Other things I'd like to see:

-Ability to see people's away messages when they are idle.
    -Ability to see all of a long away message. When you read someone's away message by hovering the mouse over their name, it formats as one long line which may not all fit on the screen.
    -Ability to see how long a buddy has been on, present in AIM when you hold the mouse over a buddy on the list.
    -Audio Messaging compatible with the PC version of AIM. Not sure if this ever made it into the OSX version, but I liked it a lot in OS 9.
    -Ability to warn people in the same way you can in AIM. The only way I know in iChat is with the initial message, which isn't good enough for my needs.
    -Ability to format chat logs with name and time stamps, as with AIM. iChat's format has its good points, but it's useless trying to copy and paste into another app. I like to the nearest second time stamps as well, rather than the nearest 5 minutes.
    -Most of the other stuff you guys mentioned.

In my opinion, iChat was released not quite feature complete. This is fine, I just sort of expected an update by now. Hope we get one soon.

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

calm down, we all feel the same. i feel ichat was just some testing waters and to get something out there. i feel a next version will fix all out woes, apple knows all these problems, ichat just wasnt worth a big update until a next os release in my opinion. go use adium for the time being.

iJon

5. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

As far as I can tell, no one was getting excited. Just pointing out problems with the current itunes and discussing them nicely.

6. synthetickittie thread starter macrumors regular

Ya Im not realy MAD about these things just telling what I see out.

---

Oh ya and I relised something else... Text formating is not shown on to your buddies like in aim if you put your font to size 10 and veranda font it would show up the exact same on the persons computer you chat to UNLESS they put an option to make everyone text the way THEY want it. Everyone tells me my text goes over times new romans size 12 when mines defnitly never on that one.

7. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Being, concise and to the point will get your threads read. Another thing, grammar and spelling is a plus.
    I'm not all too sure how long Apple has been a member in the realm of instant messanger services, but if you're comparing ichat to AOL's IM, let's be realistic, Rome wasn't built in a day. That's the best thing about this country: the freedom to choose. If you're displeased with ichat that much don't piss and moan about it. Here's a tip, DON'T USE IT.

8. Huked on Fonick macrumors 6502

Yea i chat sucks, i tried useing it for a week and there just two many limitations and things i dont likea obut it....... the ONLY thing i do like about it how the buddles arrange ur text horizontaly and vertically... i like that part alot, as for if u use the view as text option itmakes ur chat box look striped and ugly as helll.....that defently needs improvement.. I dont know why apple released a product this bad... its a horrible product, shame on them.......

9. King Cobra macrumors 603

I feel like the only individual strongly supporting iChat and not even trying to look after another client.

I don't care if that is true or not.

All I know is iChat works, it is stable, and it just needs some features.

10. braindrain macrumors newbie

iChat with Adium message windows would be the perfect chat client. :)

11. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Basically what you are looking for is Adium 2.0 You need to compile it from source right now as it's an alpha product, but I think you'll like it. I've been using it for quite a while now and it works great for me. www.adiumx.com for more help with it.

BEN

12. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Yeah. iChat crashes my recipients iChats when I send a pdf image for some reason. But I'm fine with it. However, people who use Adium seem to swear by it so maybe you can give that a go. Sometimes I use Proteus for the mutiple networks in one.

13. braindrain macrumors newbie

Thanks, but I already have Adium 2.0.

I want iChat buddy list and stuff... with Adium 1 chat windows.

14. Huked on Fonick macrumors 6502

I tried adium, its cool i like the tab features and what not buti cant figure out how to send images, and files, does it support this??

15. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I guess I'm not the only one who gets a headache trying to read horribly misspelled jumbles without punctuation, then.

16. Kyle macrumors member

No. Adium only supports chat. :(

17. Huked on Fonick macrumors 6502

Looks like i am sticking with good ol AIM.....why cant someone make a good alternate chat program that has all the fetures of aim and more plus a better interface, aim sucks, but a other sucks more... o well

18. Kyle macrumors member

Well... AIM doesn't let just anyone connect to their precious server. iChat was made in agreement with AOL which is why it is able to. Third party clients such as Adium must connect through AIM's open server, which does not support much. AOL thinks that it will make people use their software, because they want you to see their ads.

Obviously, it works in some cases. But yes, I agree. I want an alternative that works! :)