ichat, the one problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by feif, Jul 18, 2005.

1. feif macrumors newbie

feif

so i switched over to using a mac back in april, and one (though it seems pointless) thing has been bothering me. i use ichat as my chat program, since AIM for mac is quite outdated, and i love it, but away messages are never up to date. someone can change their message and be doing something completly different, ending up makingi a situation a bit confusing. is there some type of fix or anything for this, or any suggestions besides to stop caring what people are doing?

2. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

You could try Fire, a freeware IM app that works with AIM, Yahoo, Jabber, and almost everything else you can think of. It has tabbed IM windows too (I can't figure out why iChat hasn't added that feature yet).

I use iChat most of the time but I don't think I have the same problem you describe. I'm not sure how to check either though. Maybe I have the same problem and don't know it.

3. besler3035 macrumors 6502

4. feif thread starter macrumors newbie

feif

its weird, someone would come over, and theyd be like, no that was my away message this morning, not now, or other times i could say something to their away, but it'd autoreply with something else. i usually feel dumb then. i guess ill give fire a try though.

5. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Or instead of Fire, you can try MR's favourite, Adium :)

6. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

there is only ONE thing wrong with iChat? hah
    the only reason i use iChat is for the video chatting. you should try adium. it works very well, and is pretty similar to iChat. though i have had some problems with adium trying file transfers. i have the same problem as you and only get the proper away message when i say something to the person. i also dont like the fact that you cant have a profile similar to that of aim. but really the away message thing isnt the biggest problem, or at least not for me.

7. feif thread starter macrumors newbie

feif

well, i downloaded Adium, and i must say, i'm impressed. i like it better than ichat, which i loved, thanks guys.