iChat to support jabber says spymac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jholzner, Jun 5, 2003.

1. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

Spymac is saying that the next version of iChat will support the jabber protocol. I'm not really famililar with that protocol. Could someone explain to me exactly what it is and why iChat supporting it is good news? I was hoping for MSN and Yahoo support.

2. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

3. Duckie macrumors newbie

4. Kid Red macrumors 65816

I've never heard of jabber, but it's open source so it would make sense to Apple going there.

Also, when was the last time Spymac was right? I keep seeing threads about there predictions yet can't remember any that have come true.

5. pEZ macrumors 6502

Ugh. Jabber? I can see why they wouldn't ever support MSN, or Yahoo even. But what about ICQ and IRC and Gadu-Gadu?

6. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

well, i do. And i have to admit it rocks. BTW most of the OO devels are using jabber. That helps if I got some questions :D and the irc server is once more just totaly overcrowded

7. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

irq would be cool, just as well.
    Don t know Gadu-Gadu. What s that?

[edit] I found it :

The Jabber Gadu-Gadu transport provides Gadu-Gadu protocol support (which is a very popular proprietary instant messaging protocol in Poland).

who the hell uses that ?:confused:
    [/edit]

8. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

Re: iChat to support jabber says spymac

definateley. There are no decent msn clones for Mac. Could it be that they're not allowed to for some reason? That'd be very odd seeing as loads of people have developed their own msn clients.

9. emberton macrumors newbie

Since most Jabber servers actually have bridges for ICQ/MSN/Yahoo/AIM installed in them, this would actually be a good way for Apple to support all those protocols indirectly, without having to negotiate with the individual companies.

If you download a Jabber client, you'll see that you can actually talk to people on all those other networks with it.

10. iLilana macrumors 6502a

iLilana

msn clones?

Fire is still way unstable but usable. Proteus works great. It's what I use for all IM exect one Aim ID which is exclusively in iChat.