ichat video and windows programs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by whyrichard, Aug 28, 2006.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Aug 15, 2002
    Which windows programs can video chat with macs through ichat?

or do i need another program other then ichat on my mac?

2. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

Jun 28, 2006
    The Kitchen
    Plenty of threads on this if you search, but what has worked best for me is to have the PC person to have AIM. The video screen is small on their end, but it works. No need to for you to not use iChat in this case.
  3. arehartc macrumors newbie

Sep 3, 2006
    iChat and AIM problem

Hi everyone. I have checked a number of sites regarding the problem I am having, and I can't seem to find anyone with the same problem.

Here it is. I am trying to use iChat on my Mac with AIM 5.9 on a Windows machine. I have opened all the ports necessary on the Linksys router, and have disabled all software firewalls on both sides.

When the Mac user initiates the video chat, the AIM user receives a message that says that a connection couldn't be established, perhaps because of firewall settings. The Mac user gets an error (the details are below) that can be reported to Apple.

Here is the weird thing. If the AIM user initiates the video request, it works just fine!

Anyone? Thanks a bunch. I am running the latest version of iChat on my Intel Macbook.

Date/Time: 2006-09-03 09:49:58.157 -0600
    OS Version: 10.4.7 (Build 8J2135)
    Report Version: 4

iChat Connection Log:
    AVChat started with ID 2623915183.
    chrisarehart@mac.com: State change from AVChatNoState to AVChatStateWaiting.
    0x4d7620: State change from AVChatNoState to AVChatStateInvited.
    0x4d7620: State change from AVChatStateInvited to AVChatStateConnecting.
    chrisarehart@mac.com: State change from AVChatStateWaiting to AVChatStateConnecting.
    chrisarehart@mac.com: State change from AVChatStateConnecting to AVChatStateEnded.
    Chat ended with error -8
    0x4d7620: State change from AVChatStateConnecting to AVChatStateEnded.
    Chat ended with error -8

Video Conference Error Report:

Video Conference Support Report:

Video Conference User Report:

etc... (post truncated by forum)
  4. gloss macrumors 601

May 9, 2006
    Skype's got a Video-capable Mac Beta preview up.
  5. brandon6684 Guest

Dec 30, 2002
    While quality of the client is horrible(at least the Mac version), the video and audio quality of Sight speed is amazing, and it's available on Mac and Windows.
  6. a456 macrumors 6502a

Oct 5, 2005
    Sightspeed is great

Having tried various ways of linking webcams between Mac and Windows - iChat/AIM, Yahoo, Tiscali, etc. - and having spent many hours trying to find which ports need opening and closing on the Windows machine, I can honestly say that Sightspeed (http://www.sightspeed.com) is a godsend. It takes barely ten minutes to download and start using, and the windows user doesn't have to look at a postage stamp sized image like they do with the iChat/AIM solution.
  7. jockwalker69 macrumors newbie

Sep 6, 2006
    I spent many hours trying to get other programs to work with ichat. I spent hours talking to Apple tech and they had no answer. Ichat to Ichat was no problem but Ichat to a PC just wasn't working. Tried the various versions of Aim and Yahoo with little success. Im would work but nothing else. Finally after loading Sightspeed on my Mac and PC Windows, everything works perfectly with both computers. It has great features and large video screen. No adjustments whatsoever! The easiest fix would be for everyone to buy a Mac and use iChat but the general public is missing the boat. Plug in and go. WHEW!
  8. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

Aug 15, 2002

so sightspeed is required on BOTH the mac and the pc side?

9. bigbop@mac.com macrumors member

Aug 28, 2006
    Sightspeed cams

What cams has everyone been using with sightspeed?
  10. Josephkyles macrumors regular

Sep 7, 2006
    iMac to Macbook

I can't even video chat using iChat between two macs! I get an error that is then sent to apple. How could I fix this?
  11. Macnoviz macrumors 65816

Jan 10, 2006
    Roeselare, Belgium
    Does it work with iSight?
  12. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    i honestly think skype is the best so far
    sighspeed is just so sluggish on mac
    and god I don't want any of my friend use AIM on windows, they always force install a bunch of junk.
  13. cube macrumors G4

May 10, 2004
    Sightspeed recommends iSight on Mac. I don't know if any other cameras can be used with it on this platform.
  14. a456 macrumors 6502a

Oct 5, 2005
    Totally agree, it's a great program for PC/Mac video chat.