iChat video chat problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Amy2005, May 8, 2006.

1. Amy2005 macrumors regular

Hi
    Ive been trying to talk to my friend on iChat using the video chat feature but whenever we try, either me sending the invite or my friend, it comes up with 'Amy failed to respond' or 'Tom has left the video chat' and the same happens on my friends computer. Does anyone know how to get it working please?
    Thanks
    Amy

2. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Try checking your firewall port

System prefs>sharing>firewall.

And see if a little box for Ichat AV and Bonjour are checked.

Hope that helps.

:)

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    What router are you using? Some don't seem to like iChat much like some of the Speedtouches without setting up a profile to open the ports.

4. Amy2005 thread starter macrumors regular

I checked the iChat Bonjour box but there wasn't a box for iChat AV in my list. I had it working a while back with someone else and they didnt even have a mac, the friend i'm trying to video chat with now does though.

I'm using a BT Voyager router, I'll find out what my friend is using.

Thanks
    Amy

5. jrober macrumors regular

jrober

6. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

That's odd....I would think that would be the issue then, but I'm not sure. does iChat AV come with tiger? Does anyone know? Do you have Tiger?

7. Amy2005 thread starter macrumors regular

Yep i have iChat AV 3.1.4 and Tiger 10.4.6 its really strange that it wonlt work and we both have macs.
    Thanks
    Amy

8. imacintel macrumors 68000

Amy,

Are you using the Jabber network? The Jabber-Yahoo-ICQ-Hotmail trick doesn't support that. Also, check your iChat help and call up apple.

9. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

You both need to use AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) through iChat, and your webcams will work.

10. Amy2005 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't use jabber, but i will try to AOL to AOL as my friend uses AOL, is that just the AIM user ids used through iChat?. Does .mac to .mac usually work ok?
    I'll check out iChat help too.

Thanks
    Amy

11. Amy2005 thread starter macrumors regular

Could the fact that i use an iMac with the firewire iSight webcam and my friend uses the iMac with built in iSight (not intel) be a reason why it won't work. I looked on iChat help and it said:

If there is a videocamera icon next to your buddy's name, and you have a FireWire videocamera connected to your computer and a broadband connection to the Internet, you can have a video chat with your buddy.

Both of us use broadband, i use an Ethernet cable and my friend uses Wireless.

Thanks
    Amy

12. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    .mac to AIM should be fine - I've done it.

Try googling for your router and iChat - and find out what your friend has. Can either of you audio chat with someone else? iChat doesn't like all router combinations from experience - and seeing lots of comments on the Apple discussion boards!

Mine refused to work (a Speedtouch 716g) until I found a profile that not only forwarded the ports but created a trigger port - like so. Then it all suddenly started working.

Attached Files:

13. Amy2005 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks i'll do that, i know that they have a Belkin one, i have a BT Voyager. Text chat will work ok so its not so bad, but it would be nice to have audio or video working.

14. Puzzu macrumors newbie

I'm having problems with video chat as well. The video connection I do get in iChat is often unstable and lost, requiring a re-connection. I'm using a cable broadband connection to the web so it shouldn't be a connection speed problem. I am using the new 24" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac running on Mac OS 10.4.8 and have also experienced problems sending outgoing video using iChat with the built-in iSight camera. I'd try to start a video chat and although I'd be able to receive incoming video, my own video freezes upon starting the video chat (but works fine before that, and works in Photo Booth as well). I tried plugging in an external iSight via the Firewire 400 port, and got iChat to then send outgoing video just fine using the external camera, and then when I switched back to the built-in iSight, the outgoing video was fine again on both cams. This problem doesn't go away though, as it comes back the next time I'd start a new video chat with the built-in iSight. It's annoying to have to plug in the external cam just to get the internal cam to send outgoing video. Anyone have any ideas?

15. zep&mac92 macrumors newbie

New Problem

My friend is using the intel iMac (20 inch intel core duo) and I'm using the intel core 2 duo 20 inch and for some reason his iSight doesn't work. Its completely dark. The only thing you can see is a flashlight pointed directly at the lense. Anyone else have this problem or hopefully a solution.

16. brettfus macrumors newbie

You have to uninstall Flip4mac, the quicktime update messed it up, after that it should be fine.

17. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Please let the two year old thread stay dead.