iChat Video just ... not ... working

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bjeanes, Aug 26, 2006.

1. bjeanes macrumors newbie

I think my iChat is incredibly broken. I can't get my iMac to iChat with any other computer. Not even on the same LAN.

I've tried camming with another iMac and MacBook over the internet, in my local LAN, and a friends LAN. Under all conditions, the two other macs could connect to each other fine, but under no circumstance could either of them establish a connection with my iMac. I tried deleting all of iChat's plist files and other relevant files i could fine. I even copied over the ichat.app from the other intel iMac onto mine.

If I initiate the connection, the other computer gets an Accept/Deny prompt. My computer never receives the response and sits there waiting for a response. But the remote computer always gets a "-8 error" in the logs and the message "There was a communication error during your chat".

If the other computer tries to start the connection, my computer never even gets a request to start the connection. Obviously my mac is somehow blocking all incoming connections (whether a request or an authorization to start the chat). It makes me think about firewalls but the OSX firewall is off (i am also tried On with teh ichat exception rule) and little snitch is set to allow all communications from ichat).

There was one exception to the above situation. For a brief period last night it was the opposite. If the remote computer initiated, it started up fine and was very great. But when i tried to connect, it'd give me an error saying that there was not enough bandwidth (even though we were on a LAN, it thought it only had 35kbps instead of the required 50). When I upped the Quicktime streaming datarate and the bandwidth limiter in ichat to the maximum, it let me connect to the remote computer for about 20 seconds before dropping it with the same error. During that 20 seconds the quality was AWFUL, and the connection status window had both audio and video around 5-20% instead of the usual 100% for a LAN connection.

I am usually the one fixing these things for people, but I am truly stumped with this one. If you can, please help.

- Bo

2. joeysalmond macrumors newbie

Same here...

I am baffled by this as well and I can't seem to find anything on the Apple.com discussions either. Sounds like we have the exact same problem. I can connect to anyone on my LAN but if I go outside that I am hosed. I sure hope we hear back from someone at Apple soon on this. Good luck and let us know if you find a fix.