iChat Video Problem...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by PlaceofDis, Oct 11, 2004.

1. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

ok i use my iSight all the time now with my 'rents and some friends at other universities. However, the problem i keep running into is that their video feel will freeze up, but they can still see me/hear me.

its a pain because to be able to see them again i have to restart the video conference.....

has anyone heard of this and/or solutions to this? its not that big of an issue, but it is annoying

2. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

hmmmm....

Are you using a wireless connection to the internet? I know that the video would get choppy for me if I was too far away from the hub. Obviously, as I moved the computer closer, both the person I was looking got better at and they said I would come in better as well. I'm not sure if this is your problem though. If you're on campus, you're probably hard wired into the network. Do the other people use wireless??

3. PlaceofDis thread starter macrumors Core

i didnt think about wireless being an issue, i am wireless (not on campus, my own townhouse) so i doubt that has anything to do with it. My parents are on DSL and i have Cable from Comcast. The weird thing is that their video feed of me is fine, no problems, good quality, and doesnt freeze at all, what happens on my Mac though is that my video of them freezes

perhaps its their cam, or iChat, im not sure which

however, i will try it wired next time to see if that gets rid of the problem

4. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

another question

Are the other people using iSight's aswell?? If not, maybe that has something to do with, say if they are using a USB camera.

5. PlaceofDis thread starter macrumors Core

nope they are on PCs using AIM and USB cameras, think that could be the culprit? any ways to get get around this?

6. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

that would be my guess

I know that when I use iChat with another person who also has iChat and an iSight, everything works perfect. I have had tons of problems when trying to do video with PC's, either just the audio or just the video or something else goes wrong. Hopefully they will be able to solve a lot of these problems when Tiger comes out.