iChat Wish List...

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by PrometheusG5, Jun 25, 2004.

1. PrometheusG5 macrumors member

Jun 23, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I hate comparing Mac versions to Windows, but I wish either iChat or AIM for Mac would support the "Linked Screen Names" feature.

And I REALLY wish Apple would build the ability to forward messages to mobile devices when one is away from the computer! Since AIM now allows you to be logged on to two different computers, I leave the one on my PC on, but forwarded. When I set my iChat status as away, AIM for Windows starts forwarding messages to my phone. Very handy for someone like me.

Integration with other IM clients: I know there are 3rd party programs that can do this, but I would love to see it native in iChat. (By the way, what do people here recommend for an "all-in-one" client for the Mac? Do they support A/V?)

Well, only a couple of days 'till WWDC. I hope Tiger blows us all away! :)
  2. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    [1] Add a feature for profiles like in Adium or AOL IMer.

[2] iChat goes haywire when you drag multiple images/files over a buddy/chat window. Get the issue fixed.

And I want to be able to manage my AIM accounts, including levels of privacy for each one, without having to log into AIM.
  3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    while we are talking about an iChat wishlist, my desires are simple:

1. When iChat users use colors, I'd like for AIM users to see the colors

2. When iChat users send a multi-line message (with opt+return to make a new line), i wish it wouldnt put it all on one line to AIM users

3. I'd like to be able to send messages to my friends when they are invisible and message me. It wouldn't be awful if I could go invisible with iChat too
  4. DJY macrumors 6502a

Dec 20, 2003
    Canberra AUST
    I only have initially a couple of wishlist items:
    * Integration with other IMs
    * Allow audio and video conferencing

Seems to only allow a two way audio or video... and when there are three (or more) or you - you have to go back to text!?!??
  5. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    Most people wouldn't have the upstream necessary to send streaming video to more than probably 2 people
  6. agentmouthwash macrumors regular

Aug 15, 2003
    Tabs like in Adium and Safari.

I hate having chat windows all over the place!!
  7. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    I'd like a way to use address book icons globally instead of having to ctrl click on the buddy and "Show Contact Info" and then clicking "Use addressbook picture..."

Also, I doubt iChat will incorporate multiple services. They'd have to get MS, Yahoo, ect to side with them. It was easy with AOL because AOL and Apple have had a long relationship. You ever wonder why Adium or Proteus looses a specific service sometimes? Like MSN dies and you have to upgrade? It's because these services don't want 3rd party apps using their services with succumbing to advertising. Which is why iChat is a pay to use program. Some of the money from Panther/iChat AV for Jag also goes to AOL. Unless you want OSX to start costing $160 or more, then one client is fine.

Auto-reply away messages and profiles would be grand.

As for multi-client I just Proteus. It says it's shareware, but I've never been buggered for a payment. http://www.proteusx.com/
  8. upperblue79 macrumors regular

Mar 26, 2004
    Little Rock, AR
    I went to aim.com and turned on mobile forwarding there, granted my first message always goes to my phone, but I jump on ichat and message who ever sent me the first message.
  9. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Aug 20, 2003
    Long Beach, California
  10. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2003
  11. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    I think it's an embarrassment that Apple hasn't implemented profiles in iChat.

Just a few days ago, I downloaded Adium and absolutely love it. I hadn't used it in about a year, and all I can say is wow. It's a night and day difference from what it was before. No more iChat for me, all the features I want are in Adium. I don't use voice/video chat, so it's the perfect program for me.
  12. comictimes macrumors 6502a

Jun 20, 2004
    Berkeley, California
    Yes! One of my friends uses adium, and tabs make chatting with several people SO much easier... right now I either have to click, which can get annoying or, if I don't have too many programs open, ctrl-w to get between ichat windows.
  13. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
  14. mms macrumors 6502a

Oct 8, 2003
    Don't like the interface, it takes up too much space. Here's a pic of the same account's buddy list opened up in iChat and Adium. See what I mean? Makes a huge difference on a 1024x768 screen like mine. Apple's once again touting the big impressive features (in this case, video conferencing) which many regular users have little user for, and leaving behind the small details and not implementing obvious features such as profiles or animated gifs. I know there's an argument that animated gifs aren't possible since they are all displayed in the list, but then they need to change the design to not include that then. I'm hoping there's going to be an updated soon to add the ability to talk to invisible users, if not letting you become so yourself. Invisibility is becoming popular with pc users nowadays, and iChat's lack of support for the condition makes it tough for many who have friends mainly on PC's.

Attached Files:

15. mms macrumors 6502a

Oct 8, 2003
    I assume you're talking command (Apple logo/clover key) here, but cmd-w is closing windows. Are you talking about cmd-~ ?
  16. JohnsonMac macrumors newbie

Jul 5, 2004
    All I would like is support for MSN. I realise that in the US not many people use MSN, but in other countries no-one uses AIM at all!
  17. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    Tabs tabs tabs!

And better compatibility with AIM - better IM images (iChat goes haywire if the AIM user doesn't accept the connection immediately) and invisible users (they can IM me, but I can't IM them, annoying!)