iChat with AIM Help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tikibangout, Aug 4, 2005.

1. tikibangout macrumors regular

Jul 20, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Hi, I need some help with iChat using AIM. I used to use just AIM on my PC before getting my iBook, and it seems as though iChat works different than AIM.

First of all, I got an away message on, but I was wondering where the box is where you can view who sent you messages while away, just like regular AIM.

Second, say I put an away message on, and I leave my computer be, its still turned on, its just the screen shuts off after a few mins. Will my away message still be on when I leave my iBook be? I tried this, and when I came back, my buddy list was in the dock, and when I clicked on it, it brough up my buddy list, and connected again. How can I leave it running with my away message?

I really want to use iChat, but if none of what I said is possible, then I guess i'll be getting a version of AIM for mac. I really don't wanna do it because iChat is easier, but whoever made iChat should've put more into its compatability with AIM. Thanks.
  2. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    If people send you a message it just looks like a normal chat window.

The Away status stays in effect until you come back Available, or if your iBook goes to sleep or something.

iChat can automatically become "Available" again if you interact with it. It is in the Preferences... look for it.
  3. stridey macrumors 65816

Jan 21, 2005
    Massachusetts, Connecticut
    If iChat reconnects after a period of non-computer use, then your computer probably went to sleep. You can prevent it from ever doing thing in System Preferences -> Energy Saver.