iChat with an external camera

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dylanemcgregor, Feb 11, 2006.

1. dylanemcgregor macrumors member

I asked this question in the middle of another thread, but didn't get a response, so I thought I'd try again in case it got overlooked.

My company would like to do three way video conferencing using iChat. We currently use iChat for two way conferences between our NY and India office using 2 MacMinis, and an external Cannon ZR 200 connected on the NY side to the Mini. We like using an external camera because we have multiple people participating in the chat, so it's nice to be able to swivel the camera around to each person as they are talking. That plus the zoom is nice.

But...

We want to be able to conference in a third office, which means we need a faster computer at the head office. We'd like to get either an iMac or a MacBook Pro for aesthetic and space concerns.

My question and possible problem, because both of these machines have a built in camera, I'm wondering if it is possible to override that camera and use an external camera in iChat? I've spoken with two Apple sales people who said this wasn't possible, but I know sometimes the community here is a little more creative... :)

Thanks for any help.
    Dylan

2. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I just pulled my iSight of the PowerMac and it DOES work on my iMac (with Built-in iSight). All you have to do is in iChat's preferences is select the iSight rather than the Built-in iSight. They even kept the magnetic mount on the top for it.

--Cheers

3. dylanemcgregor thread starter macrumors member

Excellent. Thanks very much for the info!

Dylan

4. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

See...the iSight....told you..

But, if you have a DV cam that connects via USB, you may be able to use the software called iChatUSb cam to use USB cams with iChat. Because iChat wants to use a firewire cam.

5. dylanemcgregor thread starter macrumors member

The cam we have at work is firewire, but thanks for the tip on the software, that should come in handy on the mac at home. :)