ichat won't allow AIM login

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by will0407, Aug 15, 2006.

1. will0407 macrumors 6502a

My sister was trying to chat to her friend on ichat, but ran into some problems, which I tried to solve........but failed!So I decided the best place to come was here. Here are the details:

our iMac: built in isight, running OSX 10.4.7, iChat 3.1.5 (video "calls" etc work fine with my MB running same specs)

friends iMac: external isight, running OSX 10.3.9, iChat 2.1

When we go into our ichat, we have the option to log into AIM, and then enter our name and password. I set up an AIM account for my sis' friend, but when she went to log in, she couldn't select the "log into AIM" option from the menu. All she could access was "log into Rendezvouz".

I don't know if Rendezvouz is another "AIM sorta thing", but when she logs into that, and adds my sis' AIM name, it says she isn't allowed to chat (some security reason, can't remmeber exactly what).

If this sounds familiar, or anyone has a solution, please can you let me know

If you want anymore details, just ask.

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

First of all, Rendezvous is for users on a local network, not across the internet, so it won't help you in this case.

Next, your iChat preferences should look like this:
    [​IMG]

with the AIM account 'use this account' check box selected. Is that the case?

3. will0407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, thats what they look like on our iMac, but on her's, she says there is only a "server" option tab when she goes to her preferences. Is it something to do with her only having iChat 2.1?

4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Perhaps, although I switched to Mac when Tiger came out, so I have no experience with 10.3 and its associated apps. Hopefully someone else will come along.

5. delay macrumors newbie

This happened to me. The only way I could get it to work was not to login to jabber or bonjour. Only login into .mac or aim. If you have any others also logging in it won't work.