iChat, Yahoo, and talking

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DJ OJ, Nov 10, 2006.

1. DJ OJ macrumors regular

DJ OJ

Japan>Shibuya>My House. Unbelievable Ain't it!?
    I am getting a USB mic.I run the Beta of Yahoo messenger and would like to voice chat with friends, Does it support it. Also, when my friends ( ON AIM IN iChat ) try to talk me ( I don't have my mic yet ) it won't let them. Is this supposed to happen? Help if not.
    Bye!

2. clairejr macrumors newbie

I don't think Yahoo can do it, at least not according to Yahoo's documentation. iChat should work once your microphone is set up as long as your friends are also using iChat. I've been trying to find software that will let me do voice chats only (no video cam needed) with non-iChat users and haven't found any yet and I can't seem to convince my PC friends to switch to a Mac. So I'm also interested in knowing if there's a way to voice chat with non-iChat users.

Claire

3. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Your computer will detect the microphone once it is plugged in. Be sure to set your preferences in both general preferences and in the application preferences. Sometimes iChat still had the internal mic selected when I intended on using my logitec headset.

4. DJ OJ thread starter macrumors regular

DJ OJ

So I can't audio chat with users of AIM that don't have macs? I am the only one of my friends with a mac. can I download an AIM for mac with voice? Should I get skype, and get everybody I know on skype? Help. Thanks

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Supposedly, AIM version 5.5 (and above, but not Triton) for Windows can do audio chats with iChat. Yahoo! Messenger, including the latest beta, does not support audio chats at this time but we should see that capability in order for it to work with Windows Live Messenger. Skype version 2 supports audio and video chats with Windows. Microsoft Messenger will supposedly, eventually, support audio and video chats but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to work, reliably or otherwise.

6. Jonx macrumors 6502

Jonx

you can try using Skype its better mainly because its available to osx and windows users :)

7. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

8. NatPro macrumors member

NatPro

9. DJ OJ thread starter macrumors regular

DJ OJ

I don't want to get all my friends to switch though. Uggg. So, when I get a mic I can chat with the PC users in AIM through iChat. correct?

10. Jonx macrumors 6502

Jonx

yes thats correct ;)

11. DJ OJ thread starter macrumors regular

DJ OJ