ichat

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by robotrenegade, Oct 5, 2002.

1. robotrenegade macrumors 6502a

My iChat has been weird lately. If I'm on for a while i can talk to people but when they talk to him nothing happens. As if the person is away from there pc. Anyone else have problems?

2. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

i have the problem where suddenly people can type to me...like i'm online, i can talk to them and they receive the message, but it doesn't show me what they type and it doesn't show what i type to them, it's like the whole program just freezes up and stops recognizing the network connection, if i log out and log back on it works just fine...for a while...until it happens again

3. robotrenegade thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah

that happens to me to. If i sign off and back on it works for a bit.

4. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

If your computer goes to sleep, it stops running iChat. I used to have that problem, so I set my computer to never go to sleep. Now iChat works perfectly. Well, not exactly perfectly, but it works enought to use.

5. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

ichat still has a lot of bugs to be stomped and a lot of features to be added. rendevouz has never worked on my computer/network and neither has file transfer. hopefully there will be an ichat update soon that addresses the most urgent of these issues, but if there was, we'd probably have heard about it on macrumors by now.

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

iChat sucks. Maybe a few more updates and then it will be good. Stick to Adium or something.

iJon

7. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

iChat sucks...

I agree with iJon, iChat does suck. It shows that I'm online but every one of my AOL buddies are offline. iChat has major flaws, but then again so does the latest version of AOL instant messenger. I tried downloading Adium from download.com but got a broken link. Any idea where I can go to get a copy of Adium?

8. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

adam iser's homepage is
    http://homepage.mac.com/adamiser/
    you can get the latest official version (there's an unofficial version on versiontracker.com) and even the source code.

9. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

I agree with the rest of you, too. iChat works, but is deservant of it's 1.0 status. I get all the same errors you all mentioned.

Adium is a much better, less bloated program, IMO.

10. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

adium seems pretty cool, the way ichat should have been made...

very dissappointed in ichat...

Anyone else hate those stupid text bubbles......

there should be an option to turn those off...

11. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

thanks

Thanks FattyMembrane. Adium is damn cool! Everyone who's having problems with iChat should check Adium out.

12. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

funny thing is, i hadn't had any problems with ichat quitting until last night.... when it quit twice. but it might have been a network issue..... i'm not sure

can adium do file transfers? if not.... that sucks.

13. Biggles macrumors member

i like adium, but the whole lack of away messages keeps me away from it. I use aim/ichat mostly because it tells me what my friends are up to...we just all leave away messages when we're gone. Its like a ever-changing digital answering machine

14. samdweck macrumors regular

Re: ichat

All the time, and there is not any kind of fix! It stinks i know! We need an iChat revision!

15. samdweck macrumors regular

hey! i like the bubbles!

16. Biggles macrumors member

View>show as text

17. samdweck macrumors regular

in my opinion, i like the bubbles, but i do think there shold be an option to turn them off. it is an interesing part of the iChat interface, which is more rounded and soft, than sharp and in your face like aim is!

18. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I guess you didn't understand what you quoted in your last post. He was telling you that there IS a way to turn the bubbles off. Click on View, and Click on Show As Text.

19. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I haven't had any of the problems you're talking about, the only problem I have is that it doesn't have the ability to display a profile. I never touch AIM or Fire anymore.

JW

20. samdweck macrumors regular

could u do me a fave and check to see what v. u have? i have 1.0 v51

21. samdweck macrumors regular

right now i am still using ichat b/c i can't stand to go back to aim's interface, but i really hope they update this SOON! any idea when?

22. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I hope they add iChat to the list of updates in the 10.2.2 update. Usually they release it to developers and add improvements to other Apps when they release it to the general public. I wouldn't expect any big iChat update until 10.3 comes out, but you never know. Maybe 10.2.2 or 10.2.3 will bring it to a v1.5 or v2.0.