Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dorqiekat, Oct 2, 2004.

1. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

Jul 3, 2004
    does anyone know how to change your profile on ichat?
  2. wwooden macrumors 68000

Jul 26, 2004
    Burlington, VT
    can't with iChat

You can't do profiles with iChat like you would with AIM. Don't ask me why they don' t add that feature, but they haven't yet. There are some programs out there can do this sort of thing for iChat though. One I know of is iProfile , which I tried for a while. It was ok, nothing great, but it does do what you're asking for. Hope that helps. You can always do a search on macupdate.com for other programs.
  3. absurdio macrumors 6502

Aug 25, 2003
    RI, Chi, and/or NY.
    You can also download AIM for Mac. That's what I did. The only reason I have it is so that I can change my profile. It's not as pretty as iChat is (yeah, can you tell i'm a mac user?), and I stay away from AOL at all if i can. It DOES let you change your profile though.

On another note... why the hell doesn't iChat have tabbed chat windows yet? (Like safari does for navigator windows, but for chat windows) Curses!
  4. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Aug 19, 2004
    Hey absurdio (and dorqiekat) -- have you tried Proteus? It has the features you've described, and a distinctively "Mac" look. :)

I like Proteus because you still get an AIM profile and AIM functionality, as well as a "drawer" for chat windows. You can even have chat bubbles like iChat. It's $15, but it's a very nice program. The only thing that doesn't seem to work is Direct Connect, but everything else is great.
  5. mms macrumors 6502a

Oct 8, 2003
    Adium is free, very customizable, has support for multiple connections/protocols and profiles, and open source. It can do everything iChat can (except audio/visual chat) and much more. Once you use tabbed chat windows, it's hard to go back. It's also continually being updated by a great team of developers.

6. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    I'll switch away from iChat once one of these other apps has the integration that iChat has (ie staying online without iChat open, and the little icon in the upper right of the menu bar).
  7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    I use iProfile. It just does your profile, nothing more nothing less.
  8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    Tiger will hopefully address some of these issues with its revamped version of iChat
  9. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 3, 2004
    Thanks, I got iprofile and it works as it should. I'm kind of upset that ichat is missing something so essential in instant messaging. I'd get aim for mac, but ichat is so much.. how do you say... BETTER! plus, the chat bubble is way cute. One more question for you guys, how do you make it so that others can see your preferences on your font and colors etc. Only when I chat with others who use ichat can see my preferences. To any other users, its default. Anyone? :D