IchatAV in tiger question

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dduchene, Dec 18, 2004.

1. dduchene macrumors newbie

Jun 2, 2004
    I have been wondering has anyone with the beta's of Tiger tried to see if apple is going to allow Video Chat over dial up. This should not be a problem to allow a one to one even in dial up given the 4 to 1 gains of H.264. Why do I care? Simple here in the US broadband in easy to find but I have friends using apple all over the world and some of them have little choice but dial up I have a friend in brazil that for a 64K wireless option they want 500.00 us to set up and 140.00 a month but there is free dial up ISP the Phone company still charges 1 cent a min. to use the phone. But this is still a lot less than the 7 to 12 cents a min that a cheap LD call including VOIP cost. Yes I know that I can use the voice side I would just like to also have the video
  2. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    It's not a matter of Apple 'allowing' video chat over Tiger. Even with the introduction of H.264/AVC video chatting is still going to be pretty bandwith hungry, I doubt very much you'll be able to video chat with a person on dial up.
  3. dduchene thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 2, 2004
    Under the version in 10.3 I have done chats using a wireless (ricochet) using 65k upstream. It wasn't great but it got the job done. If H.264 is 4 times better then it should be no problem to get this level on a dail up every time I tested the dial up when I was down there I got 40k plus upstream to the US that is only 30% down and I was doing 15fps on the 60k so 10 to 15 fps with good audio should be no problem on dialup is my thought. It appears to me that apple has set the bottom end of Ichat to be 15fps. When running on the wireless access I have had it not start a chat cause in the start up it checks and on some days I am not getting the full 60k and that is the cut off today. Most dialups can produce 30k and with out much trouble and if there is a 4 to 1 gain than that can handle todays quailty with a 200% head room or that is at least my math. So the question becomes will apple allow it or will they want to be know for super high quailty and keep it the way it is locking out a big piece of the world?