Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prawncracker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2004
i have a g4 dual running osx 10.3

can connect with other macs using isight...but mac to pc does not work...have tried to connect to two pc users who have the newest version of aim for the pc and logitech quickcam 4000's but the video facility will not start. have tried everything...does any one know what the prob is??

thanks dan

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
prawncracker said:
i have a g4 dual running osx 10.3

can connect with other macs using isight...but mac to pc does not work...have tried to connect to two pc users who have the newest version of aim for the pc and logitech quickcam 4000's but the video facility will not start. have tried everything...does any one know what the prob is??

thanks dan

Make sure your using the new public beta version of iChat A/V 2.1 or else it won't work with PC users. This is the main reason for the beta, is to test connecting to PC users using the new AIM for Winblows. iChat A/V 2.0 which is what ships with Panther only does Mac to Mac A/V chatting.
Here is the link to the download:

http://www.apple.com/ichat/download/

prawncracker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2004
ichat

ive done that already..in fact now using the new version ie: non beta and it still does not work....any clues...

the problem exists in interfacing with any pc not just one

settledown

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2003
pittsburgh
i am getting the idea that audio ichat 2.1 doesnt work with windows aim 5.5. for what ever reason im not sure. video (assuming isight or G4/G5) ichat to aim 5.5 works. but plain audio on a G3 doesnt seem to work. port forwarding and all.

tad1952

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2004
Manitoba Canada
Panther to XP ichat working just fine

I have a G4 imac with Panther using iSight & iChat AV 2.1. My friend has Windows XP and a web cam. She downloaded AIM 5.5 and now we can type back & forth, talk back & forth, use headphones (one or both of us) & see each other. Of course, the resolution of her camera is nowhere as high as iSight and she does not get the option of enlarging the 3" picture box. The only problems we've had is that I have to invite her to a video conference & have her accept. If she invites me, when I click on the box to accept, iChat tells me she is already in a conference & won't let me connect. But it's certainly better than nothing & I'm sure things will get better as more people start using it.

I'm trying to find out if she can use iSight on her PC - if she can, maybe I'll buy her one for Christmas.

settledown

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2003
pittsburgh
for kicks try this...

take the cams off your imac and her pc, and try to use just audio chat using your built i mic and her built in mic(or external mic)...

no go, i think.
I beleive that ichat/AIM, MSN, Yahoo, etc. are being forced/asked by the telephone companies to not allow cross platform (AIM to MSN, Yahoo to iChat) types of audio chats. Unless you both have a cam plugged in to let the software know that you are going to VIDEO chat, then it enables audio.

Is that confusing or what?

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
i've been able to successfully video chat with one person on windows... from what he's told me, he is using an El Cheapo (R) webcam and i am using my DV camera... it works fine and i have also noticed that whenever he tries to start the conference AIM crashes on him (i wonder who is to blame) so he just im's me asking me to invite...

i've not been able to do just an audio chat though... :(

reality

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.