Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After first testing out a new update to the Photos web app on the iCloud beta website earlier this month, Apple has now rolled out the update to all users (via Mac Generation). The overhaul to the app on iCloud.com introduces a macOS-like Photos experience with a sidebar that can be toggled on and off, and a scrollable thumbnail view of every photo in an album at the bottom of the site when looking at individual pictures.

icloud-website-update.jpg

Previously, Photos on iCloud.com placed albums in a tab bar at the top of the site, so the update makes it easier to navigate multiple albums at once. To top off the navigation tweaks, there are also four action buttons in the top right corner of the web app for uploading, adding, downloading, sharing, and deleting albums and photos.

The Photos web app on iCloud.com is still lacking macOS and iOS features like editing, shared albums, memories, and people, which uses facial recognition to organize your photos on Mac and iPhone. Users can head over to iCloud.com to check out the new Photos update on the site.

Article Link: Redesigned Photos Web App on iCloud.com Now Available for Everyone

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
Just tried. Nothing even close how good Google Photos online experience is.
[doublepost=1482416828][/doublepost]
Next up—now that Facebook messenger sucks—iMessage on iCloud.com and iMessage on Android for cross-platform iMessage everywhere. I hope for a day where I can simply iMessage everyone.

For once I agree with you. ;)

Reactions: iMerik

porky

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2003
BELGIUM

Google photos is amazing. Recognises everything when you search, it even made a very nice movie of my holliday.

Reactions: Sandstorm

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Next up—now that Facebook messenger sucks—iMessage on iCloud.com and iMessage on Android for cross-platform iMessage everywhere. I hope for a day where I can simply iMessage everyone.
I doubt that'll happen anytime soon (iMessage for Android that is) with the numbers guy running the company at the moment.

They'd open it to Android if they charged per message like carriers charge for texts.

I mean, the money did allow Music to get released for Android.

As it stands right now, giving people a reason to buy an iPhone is worth more than giving those with an iPhone a more universally usable messaging platform.

Lock'em in, Timmy!

Glassed Silver:ios

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I'm surprised that Tim Cook let this become more like macOS and not like iOS, but i'm glad. This is much better in my opinion.

Quite strange how the home page is 100% iOS styled and then the app looks purely like macOS.

Actually it's really strange how the home page is styled after iOS considering they try to dissuade people from using iCloud.com on iOS devices.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
With non-stop memories with family, vacations, cats, etc., I've found my storage quickly filled with photos.

Both Apple and Google have an optimization function that kills the local high-res image to save device storage, but the number of pictures I have is using up all my cloud storage, as well.

I've been moving older albums and collections to Google Photos to free up iCloud storage. Unlimited photo storage (up to 16 MP, I believe) should help things, long-term.

I wish Apple did something like that.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
Quite strange how the home page is 100% iOS styled and then the app looks purely like macOS.

Actually it's really strange how the home page is styled after iOS considering they try to dissuade people from using iCloud.com on iOS devices.
I guess because it corresponds with iOS apps, but you're right it's very strange. Hopefully this is the move towards a more macOS iCloud.com.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Hey – I love this. Google Photos doesn't recognise my albums so it becomes one big hodgepodge.

The only small niggle is that I can't figure out how to sort albums alphabetically on iCloud version.

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
With non-stop memories with family, vacations, cats, etc., I've found my storage quickly filled with photos.

Both Apple and Google have an optimization function that kills the local high-res image to save device storage, but the number of pictures I have is using up all my cloud storage, as well.

I've been moving older albums and collections to Google Photos to free up iCloud storage. Unlimited photo storage (up to 16 MP, I believe) should help things, long-term.

I wish Apple did something like that.

Different business models. With Apple you pay them. Whereas Google get paid by selling ads.

I have a pretty large photo library so have ponied up £2.49 a month for the 200GB tier. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201238. Free is great, but nothing is actually free.

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
Wow, just think, if they keep improving the Photos service at this rate, in two years it could be better than Google Photos....was 6 months ago.

Reactions: hagar and navaira

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
An infuriating and nonsense issue that shows that no one at Apple really tests some of these features.

Yep, it's ridiculous. Just proves they are pushing out features just so they can say ''we can do that too'', instead of those features actually being better than the competition and making you choose them over others. It's the reason I'm still using Dropbox. If iCloud Drive worked like it should, I'd already have a subscription for more storage. But nope, Apple cares too much about selling watchbands and dongles.

Reactions: Traverse

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Wow, this is miles ahead of the last version of Photos on the web. The last version gave me the impression it was trying to somehow sync all my 10,000+ photos -- this one just scrolls through them with much less effort.

Shared iCloud albums are missing, though.

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
Google is killing it with Google Photos. Apple is getting there very slowly. This is nice, but it definitely has a limited feature feel compared to Google. Maybe someday Apple will be on the forefront again.

Seraph301083

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2009
Is there really no way to select multiple photos at once?
I would like to create a shared album. But not possible.

Reactions: Xteec

techconc

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2011

That's why Mac OS and iOS both have native clients which provide the best overall experience. Web access is nice in a pinch, but it's never a good substitute for a good native client.

Sefstah

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2015
So we still can't access iCloud or any of it's features from any iOS device? It's damn near 2017 for crying out loud. Google photos all the way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.