Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Argelius

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2005
Because I like trying to stay in Apple's ecosystem as much as possible, I'm finally getting around to investigating iCloud Drive on my Mac as a substitute for Google Drive which I use currently.

Why I use Google Drive: so that my Documents Folder on my Mac is accessible when I'm on my iPhone and iPad. (Pretty much the way Drop Box works, I believe)

My question: is there a way to have my Documents folder on my Mac automatically sync with iCloud Drive, so that if I'm working on my Mac and create a new document (that ends up in the Documents folder), it will automatically be uploaded to iCloud Drive?

I know this has to be a common/simple question, but my searches weren't able to get this satisfactorily answered.

Thanks

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
I'm not sure about having your Documents folder itself sync with iCloud Drive, but what I did a few years ago was just move the entire contents of my old Documents folder to my iCloud Drive folder. I also changed my default save location to iCloud Drive. To me, the only real difference is the name and pathway of the parent folder. It works fantastically well and I have easy access to all my documents on my iPhone and iPad.

If you really want to sync the Documents folder itself, though, you may want to check out an app called MacDropAny. I used to use it to do just that back in my Dropbox days - I would save things in my Documents folder (instead of my Dropbox folder) and they would be synced via symbolic links to matching folders in my Dropbox. I'm not sure if it works with iCloud, or how well it works these days, since I haven't used it for a couple years, but it might be worth checking out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.