Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bethkelly

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
California
won't accept password

It's been a half hour now and iCloud IMAP server "p99-imap.mail.me.com" still won't accept my password. This is maddening. Do I just have to wait ???

freddyflint1975

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
it just doesn't work

Same in London

Never had a problem before. I thought iCloud was going to make things simpler in terms of pushing data between devices.... Then I find out that it won't be as comprehensive as expected, not does the email work on either Apple Mail or iCloud

Baahhhhhh!

Last edited:

wolfshades

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2007
Toronto, Ontario Canada
I wonder if the problem only applies to ex MobileMe users. One thing I did notice is that when I transferred my account it used the existing password, even though it does not contain a capital letter. That capital letter is mandatory for new iCloud users.

It's not the password. I'm also a MobileMe user who switched to iCloud. My existing password consisted of at least one capital and at least one number. You might be right that it only is affecting existing MobileMe users who switched though.

At any rate - a good test to see if it's your device or something else is to log in directly at iCloud.com. If you can't get mail there (I can't) then it'll affect all of your devices including your Mac, and you'll just have to wait for Apple to fix it.

----------

Also, the AppleID site is down. Forgot to mention that. That's likely the root of the problem.

djsteves

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
mee tooo

OK herre is the sad thing I was reading all of these posts - and I registered using my me.com acct, but couldn't activate the registration because NONE of my devices including the browser can access mail! WTF!

I know my password is correct because I can access all of the other services associated with my account on iCloud.com...

Do any of the techies from Apple read these posts??? Ya think you could offer up some explanation and possible timelines to having this resolved?

I mean I know its a free service and all but I paid for my me.com acct. prior to converting it to iCloud.

HELP - cannot get email!

coz

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2008
i'm having mobilme deja vu however this time I can't even get email on my iphone.

Cereal

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2008
This just hit me! How will we track our iPhone 4s shipments!?!?!?!?!

Kidding...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It's happening to me too.

However I have two MobileMe accounts I transitioned to iCloud, the primary account is having the password problem, the other is working grand for email on the iPad.

Both are working within Mail on my desktop.

Life in the iCloud isn't quite as rosy as we were told it would be.

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2009
I just changed [what I thought] was my iCloud password and it actually changed my Apple ID password also.

So I would assume both passwords/accounts are the same given that I am using the iCloud/Apple ID was the exact same email address with the same password.

djsteves

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
A work around!

Not taking credit, found in different thread, but it saved me (allowed me to get a important email I was waiting for)

In the desktop Mail client, I setup a 2nd account using my iCloud username/password.
It gave me the error everyone is getting, but then went to the next screen. In email type, INSTEAD of picking iCould or MobileMe, I picked the generic IMAP email type

Put in the following....

Incoming
imap.mail.me.com
iCloud username (in my case my @mac.com email)
iCloud Password

Outgoing
smtp.mail.me.com
iCloud username (in my case my @mac.com email)
iCloud Password

This worked for me, download all my email and allowed me to at least see what was in my inbox

normandy7

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
Still not working for me. Can't even check my email on iFail errrrrr iCloud. "It just works" LMAO

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Me too.

Mail.app rejects the password and iCloud.com can't open the webmail interface. :(

Hope it's a "start up" problem and they sort it out real fast.

I have this feeling the guys working at RIM feel a bit better knowing Apple has their issues too ;)

EDIT: Now the webmail interface of iCloud.com works, but Mail.app still has issues (can't read data)

shompa

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
When MobileMe launched they had small problems for a couple of days.

Steve gathered the MobileMe team and told them that was unacceptable and fired the boss.

How will Tim Cook handle this? Will he do a "Sony" and wait 6 weeks to fix the problem?

Steve would not be happy...

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
Still happening for me. When am I going to learn - do not use Apple online services. They are incapable of maintaining data centers or any type of reliable online service. What a disappointment.

abelmacberry

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
2 time

Mine is working now but it's the second time it happens since I migrate to iCloud yesterday, so I hope this is it, BTW don't move anything, the issue is not your account or something you did wrong, is the server but it's getting fixed XD

----------

And it's down again, GRRRRRRRRRRRR

jordanogrady

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2010
When MobileMe launched they had small problems for a couple of days.

Steve gathered the MobileMe team and told them that was unacceptable and fired the boss.

How will Tim Cook handle this? Will he do a "Sony" and wait 6 weeks to fix the problem?

Steve would not be happy...

Hasn't tim cook worked for apple for many years? So why would things run so much differently? Its sad that the top man has gone, a real big shame, i was a big fan, but I don't think that things like this will change! ITs technology, it has glitches!

Jordan

rick snagwell

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 12, 2011
alta loma, ca
working now, but i expect more problems during this massive launch. so far i think they have done great.

spoke to soon..down again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.